Ultimate firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Nice Kareldjag, you hit the nail right on the head ;)

2. budfox

budfox Guest

Get out and see the sun.

Wow, you people have to get out more often if you are going to critique my words of "the best firewall". Should I have stuck with the "ultimate firewall" I have tested other firewalls like looknstop, outpost, ect with leaktests and with port probes. So far as I can tell, netop is the best I have tested.

It is perfectly obvious that "the best firewall" is my opinion through my testing, but you are obviously missing that point. Besides testing Netop against all of the leak tests @ http://www.firewallleaktester.com/ and also using multiple sites ports probes where the firewall was completely stealthed (exception port 113 which I forward from my router), what else do u recommend I doo_O Should I hire a hacker?

It is obvious to me that some of you people posting here are only concerned with one thing and its not security. Seems like some here have a self esteem problem and are only posting against me to make yourself feel better about yourselves. Maybe a tony robbins seminar is far off ....

3. budfox

budfox Guest

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Ease up budfox. Its only the internet. In this land anyone who says something is the best will probably get the same treatment you did. It is not all that easy to say what the best is. A better concept is the best for what purpose, and even that gets a bit murky at times. Around here folks are more interested in the objective details of how something performs. It is difficult to say what the best of anything is. If you just said you liked it, and why with a bit of objectivity, no one would have given you a hard time.

5. ghost16825

ghost16825 Registered Member

Re: Get out and see the sun.

It's evident you have based your opinion on two things only:
    1) Passing leaktests and
    2) Online port scans returning stealth

all in the firewall's default setup I gather.

I for one do not believe that these should be the main criteria on which to choose a firewall. If a port scan returned all ports closed, and a default firewall installation failed 2 leaktests does this mean it is a poor firewall?
    I personally do not think so.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: Get out and see the sun.

Kerio 2.15 which is the least resource hungry FW and free, when combined with BZ rules passes all the tests out there on the net, not bad for something that is totally free.

7. Oh well. these days "everyone" knows a good firewall is something that

a) Is 'stealthed' when scaned by GRC shields up
    b) Passes leak tests

:))))

8. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

***Budfox: my post was not a personal attack.

Just a manner to defend objectives thoughts. ;)
    Many members in this firewall's area share their knowledge about the firewall they use.

And it could be interesting if you simply talks about your NetOp's experience (configuration, rules, resource, features etc...).
    But you're on the right; NetOp is really a good firewall.

Regards

9. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

The web filtering and pop up blocking is only active for the first 14 days after you install it. After that those features turn off and if you want them you have to upgrade to the paid version.

10. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

14 days, Hipgnosis? Are you sure about that? At the Kerio trial download page it says"

"Kerio Technologies offers a 30-day trial of its products in the hopes that all customers will evaluate the software before making a purchasing decision. For this reason, we maintain a strict no-refund policy...

For home users, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is available in two flavors - the full edition and the limited free edition.

After installation, KPF works as the full edition for 30 days, after which it becomes the limited free edition."

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

I've beemn trialling Kerio 4 since my registered Outpost was BSODing so much. So far, 2 weeks into trial, Kerio has impressed me greatly.

11. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

ok, ok, so I misquoted the trial period...jeez. :D Some people are so picky :D

but other than that small detail :D my point was that anyone who didn't want the extra features didn't have to keep them. They can also be turned off (unchecked) before the trial period ends.

correct me if I am wrong....I'm sure you will :D :D :D :D

12. MeanBud

MeanBud Guest

Yes we understand you chaos16,and you sure live up to your name! chaos16,your are chaos@16 you ask the same questions over & over & over again!People have told you what do,but it is you chaos16,make your pick and stick with it,people have gave you some good advice,but if you not willing to learn rulebased firewalls,your much better off with zonealarm free,pro,suite,there all bloatware and suck!,but to each his own! Good Luck chaos16 time to pick a firewall,we can't hold your hand all the time!Learn or stay with Zonealarm,good luck!

13. budfox

budfox Guest

meanbud is incorrect. it would be angrybud.

I feel that after my last rants, I should explain myself before signing off this Netop Forum.

I am always ontop of security. The reason that I said that Netop is the best commercial firewall out there is due to my experiences w/ other firewalls. I have used Look N Stop and Outpost and they are both great firewalls. The main problem is their process control. Most firewalls have little trouble stealthing posts, and blocking outside traffic. What happens though, if some how, a rouge program get in through the firewall.....this is where many firewalls fail including look n stop and outpost. Go run Wallbreaker and see how well your firewall does. Netop is the only firewall I know of that will pass all firewall tests. The only thing it wont do is stealth 113 which is easily taken care of at the router level through port forwarding.

Anyway, I own all the other firewalls, and when I find a better one then Netop, I will purchase it for all of my systems.

Angrybud...out.

Netop, Kasperski, Processguard, Regwatcher, MSAntispyware.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Hi budfox,

Have you tried Jetico and NetVeda, just curious.

15. budfox

budfox Guest

No, I have not. Have you tested these firewalls and if so, how did they come out?

16. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are behind a router it is not Netop that is failing to stealth port 113, but how the router is responding to scans. The router will be handling all unsolicited inbound traffic, not the firewall on your system. If you wish to test the firewall on your system against inbound scans you will need to remove the router or put your system in a DMZ.

Regards,

CrazyM

17. netop

netop Guest

18. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.