Ultimate Defrag still a thing?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Keatah, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Some questions:

Is Ultimate Defrag still a thing in this day and age of SSDs? Seeing as how it’s purpose is to arrange files for faster access - I would think it’s a placebo today. Not important like when spinners were booters.

What is the largest disk size the boot time optimization module can handle? And will it ever be revised/reverted to be more clear like in earlier (but buggier) versions?

There seems to be confusion about the MFT reserved size. Option 0 isn’t explained. And since the onscreen text implies the 0-4 choices change a registry setting for NTFS, would that be global now? Or individual disk-specific?

And one more thing, is the program still in development? Or has it reverted to a passive income status so to speak?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Fragmentation does not affect the performance of SSDs the same way as it does for hard drives. There are some defraggers such as the ones from O&O and Auslogics, which have special modes for defragging SSDs. However, since fragmentation isn't much of an issue, it's fine to skip tools like this and just let Windows defrag your SSD. Degragging with O&O did make my SSD run faster according to CrystalDiskMark, but I can't say it really made a noticeable difference.
    https://www.hanselman.com/blog/the-real-and-complete-story-does-windows-defragment-your-ssd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.