UK.gov sticks to IE6 cos it's more 'cost effective'

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

they will quickly change and damn the cost if some kind of embarrassing or damaging breach occurs because of IE6

3. Dermot7

Indeed Cudni. Because of present financial constraints they will compel themselves from mitigating actions, so will be forced to act rectrospectively and
    will, if anything happens, look very stupid.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But this response is equally alarming:
    So from one proprietary system to another! No wonder the freetards (self included) are in shock! From this works best with IE6 to this works best with IE8. Looks like Billy Boy has got HMS by the whatevers!

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Believe it or not, IE6 despite what's said about it, can still be made safe !

And i still use it for testing malware infected www's even in unsafe mode, with scripting and active x and iframes running :eek: and have NOT been infected so far :D Yes i have apps etc in place to prevent intrusions etc, but so can other people, including companies/goverments etc.

And/or if they have SRP/LUA etc in place that would make a big difference i presume.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I still have IE6 (not 7 or :cool: since many Govt. and bank sites in India still carry the 'works best with IE6'.

(As an aside, I was reading someone's blog and this guy was trying to explain why IE6 is still alive. Apparently, it has to with with how the browser is tied in with the OS (XP2) and that it is not merely an issue of changing the browser. The OS will have to changed as well. As will a lot of the customised software. With budgetary constraints, that's not the first priority.)

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Gee, now what was I saying over in the "Zero Day" poll? Something about being targeted at corporations, a good reason being laziness and obsession with bottom lines? I should link this post to provide further proof. There is no "excuse", I'm awful sorry, but if the U.K can spend so much on all their other nonsense (just like here on this side of the pond), they can upgrade their operating systems. I love it when either the U.K or U.S start using "cost effective" as an excuse, it amuses me.

Look at what IE6 use got Google, front page embarrassment (isn't that too funny? Google, the ones so obsessed with cloud tech, alternative energy, all this high tech stuff, and they get hit by a breach because they use outdated crap that forces them to use insecure browsers and God knows what else).

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The Tories are just a load of cheapskates! They're quick to award themselves pay-rises & spend public money on 'duck' houses! And don't get me started about education ...

What was it that Nye Bevan said about the Tories? (I believe it was a tad rude) :eek:

10. fsr

fsr Registered Member

IE6 -> IE8 is that an upgrade :blink:

11. Daveski17

LOL! :D

12. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Radical idea here, but in the interim why not use IE6 only for the apps/sites that need IE6 and use a more secure browser for everything else?

13. Daveski17

I thought a lot of sites can't render properly in IE6 these days. You're right though, why not just download Firefox or something?

14. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

This one? :)

15. Daveski17

Yes, that one thanks! Good old Nye!

16. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Hello folks from Little Britain.
    I live here and absolutely envy those who don`t.

UK Government sticking with IE6 ! I`m not surprised at all, lil `ole me has IE8 and up theirs.
    The UK Government live in the past, the glorious age of Empire and Pomp & Circumstance, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory (all hope and no glory).

If you want to go backward at a high rate of knots, copy what the British Government do. I doubt whether they have a clue what IE6 means, probably think it is a spin off from MI5.

God, what a place ! Some Muvvers do `av `em.
    John Bull

17. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

From one Brit to another - God Save the Queen.

18. John Bull

God Save the Queen ! Ya gotta be joking, she`s one of the richest people on Planet Earth and wallows in taxpayers hard earned cash.

It ain`t her he wants to save it`s us lot.
    Anyway, the poor old gal has got to plod away with that Golden Oldie IE6, otherwise she`ll get a wage cut.
    There`s her plonking away with moth-eaten IE6 with all it`s hiccup`s and I enjoy the wonderful world of Firefox. Henry VIII would`nt put up with that hanky-panky.

John Bull

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  19. Dermot7

JB....You're a gem! Some of the images you conjure up! Best laugh I've had all week. Thanks :D :D
    Cheers,
    Dermot

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's a bit of a treat for the rest of us too to read some of the English written in some these posts!

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Until someone actually tells them that IE doesn't stand for Insolvency Explorer I feel they will never move on.

22. John Bull

`Ere wot abaht this then for cost effectiveness ? http://www.debtbombshell.com/
    Gertie, da ya really fink dat dis `ole IE6 economic twaddle will make a difference ?

Wen ya go darn Lambarf Way
    Any evenin` any day
    You`ll find `em all
    Doin` the backward walk - OIY !

John (it brings tears to my eyes) Bull

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  23. Daveski17

LOL! I dunno why they didn't change to Ubuntu like the French Navy did after Conficker sank it or something.

24. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Don't worry mate you're not alone :D

Want to steal some corporate secrets? All you have to do is ask

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now now, good ol' Henry wallowed in his subjects cash just as much as any King or Queen did and has :) But he would have sent half of his government to Tower Green or Hill if they were pulling some of the crap they get away with today. Security breaches in his day meant heads literally rolled, hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.