UEFI windows 8 incremental backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by agent86, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agent86

agent86 Registered Member

Purchased B & R 2012 Full version on the weekend. Little bit more complex than Acronis but it has a great WinPE 4 Builder that works!

The problem I am finding is if I do a full backup of the full Windows 8 system drive it is backing up 3 other small partitions which as I know it are related to GPT, EFI and Recovery although not that clear in B & R.

So far so good but it won't let me create an incremental backup due to this.

I next tried it on Windows 7 without EFI and can backup complete disk and then incremental.

So back to Windows 8 and if I select only the C:\ without the extra partitions I can incremental back that up but those other three partitions are needed aren't they to backup or could I just do them once?

I can also make a Differential Backup but that would grow quite large I would imagine over a year. I have only done Incremental backups in the past, maybe Differential backup is faster, I don't know. Paragon is a little hard to get your head around but it seems like it will do more.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

AFAIK, there isn´t much information available so far about backing up UEFI systems, and the number of "small" partitions varies with different computers. Some have five or more.

I think it´s a good idea to have at least one backup of all the partitions. This would permit to restore the system to a new disk. But in principle only C: must be backed up regularly, the others only occasionally.

3. agent86

Yes I thought about that but was concerned there would be data in the other partitions that might change, if not then your suggestion is good but I want to make sure. I like to understand, test and know my backup strategy will work. Paragon don't seem to be super user-friendly with documentation and their official forum is not English. I can't make sense of why backing up a UEFI full drive can't be incremental.

4. crypto1701

crypto1701 Registered Member

Paragon seems to be VERY incremental unfriendly, instead opting for differentials. The problem is that they don't use any type of indexing, so a differential backup can take longer than a full because it has to read the entire archive. I currently have an open ticket on this subject and the jist of their answer seems to be that only their (USD$175) professional backup program truly supports incrementals (at least as a companion backup). I have no idea why they would have gone this route.. it would take 24 hours to do a nightly differential backup of my entire system even though it's only backing up a few gig a night. I haven't seen such a scheme in 25 years of disaster recovery!

I, too, used to use Acronis, but when they started changing low-level disk drivers with no way to remove the product, I moved away from them for good.

5. agent86

Yes it seems to take a long time to do differential backups.
    The interface is just very bad at least Acronis does a lot better.
    So Paragon makes a WinPE 4 boot disk with minimal fuss but Acronis after a couple of weeks and many hours just could not make a disk with drivers, Paragon just works.
    The other issue is I have a computer with 7 drives, You don't get drive names so very unfriendly there also.

Anyone with experience of other Windows 8 UEFI friendly backup applications.

I am nearly thinking on using Widows backup!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.