ubuntu tips

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

when gutsy boots part of the screen goes brown, you can change the colour to something else in this file -
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default
    on line 61 (right near the end of the file) there's a bit that looks like this -

# Default value
    if [ "x$BACKCOLOR" = "x" ]; then
    BACKCOLOR="#dab082"

i think that is the original value - #dab082 i changed it to a dark colour, to this - BACKCOLOR="#1C1919"

i installed a really good launcher called gnome-launch-box, it's like the mac one called quicksilver. i made a keybinding of alt-F3 for it so it's right next to the default program launcher (alt-F2) i think that's free to use. here's how to make the keybinding -
    http://developer.imendio.com/node/77
    i can't find any good videos showing it, so here's one showing quicksilver instead. they look the same to me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4i7KHxmLLw

sudo aptitude install gnome-launch-box
    it's really cool, you can launch CLI programs like 'top <enter>' and it will run top inside a terminal for you, or you can look for files and directory names too :cool:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Hello Iceni, installed Gnome Launch Box via Terminal. Trouble is, I can't find it anywhere. What command-line launches it?

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

gnome-launch-box will run it, but i posted about it at ubuntuforums and i don't think anyone else could get it working, it's a bit odd, i don't know why. i installed it on ubuntu and suse without any problems :D

4. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Alt F2 brings it up. It is a bit like Quicksiliver in that it finds things really fast but Quicksilver is much, much more than a launcher.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there's a KDE one too that might do more things called katapult, i think that's what it's called. if you use KDE then that's definately worth getting, i don't use KDE so i haven't tried it. i've no idea if loading KDE libs for KDE apps uses a lot of resources if you aren't already using KDE, but i've heard people moaning about it.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there's a new program called 'gnome do' that's just started. you can get it here -
    https://launchpad.net/gc

there's a video on the page too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.