Ubuntu + Dell in India

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

What are you expecting?

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hopefully it will result in less sales of pirated Windows PCs (usually malware infected - less bots on the internet). Also cheap computers for growing countries to compete against the pirated stuff.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I wonder what kind of profit, if any, Canonical makes with the Dell partnership. I'd think they would be getting a cut but they might be sacrificing that to keep the devices cheap.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Definitely a noble thought in terms of preventing piracy, but normally people in over here are not that well versed with Linux distros(Normal users only), and this would cause no difference of PCs sold w/o OS.

This is exactly what I am gonna do whilst buying a lappie, w/o any OS installed from factory and then installing SUSE or Debian ;)

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

atleast better than dos base or windows with bunch of pre-install softwares :)

8. These Dell 14Rs and 15Rs seem to be fairly powerful machines, with Core 2 Duo processors. Not high-end by modern standards, but very far from low end... And moreover, new. I find myself wondering how Dell will keep the hardware affordable to people with developing world income levels. Using a free OS helps, but that can't be all there is to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.