Ubuntu and acpi=off

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Kerodo, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have a question for the linux experts... I have an Asus laptop with Intel graphics, and when I run Ubuntu 11.10, my display brightness can't be adjusted. I can change the slider, but it does nothing. The display brightness is fixed at about half bright, and I want it brighter. I found that if I boot with 'acpi=off' then the brightness slider DOES work, and everything is peachy...

My question is, if I make that permanent change to my /etc/default/grub file (acpi=off), then what else might be or is affected by this setting. I'm hoping there are no other ill side-effects from doing this, but I have no idea what's going on or what it is really doing when I make that change. Am I likely to lose other functionality of any kind? Or break anything?

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks... I guess nobody knows the answer offhand. I'll just try it for a while and see what happens. Unless someone has a good reason not to...

4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

You'll like Linux just follow your signature that's my motto as well... :argh:

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been using it for many years.... :) just had an issue on Ubuntu recently that hadn't ever come up before.

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Hi Kerodo, if xgamma isn't working for you, try and install Jupiter applet via the web8upd ppa, this is equivalent of Windows laptop tools installed on ASUS laptops.

web8upd ppa can be found at http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/jupiter-ubuntu-ppa-hardware-and-power.html

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hey Linuxforall. I was hoping you might have some ideas. That's great, thanks. I will give that a go. :)

8. linuxforall

Welcome, will wait for your feedback, currently I have it installed on my ASUS eeePC AMD fusion netbook and battery savings are quite improved. In my case I adjust brightness with my AMD applet and it is permanent.

9. linuxforall

Also to get all the Fn keys working, add acpi_osi=Linux to grub and update grub, make sure 'L' is capital in Linux.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Linuxforall... As it turns out, I can actually change and set the brightness using xrandr, which works fine. However, it seems that it's not the brightness that's off after all, but the backlight. Apparently I can use xbacklight to adjust that, but I have to enable universe and install it with sudo apt-get install etc. I might try that later...

Meanwhile I have installed openSUSE 12.1 Gnome and am having some fun. This one works out of the box, as well as the function keys, so I am tempted to stick with this. But I will probably go back to Ubuntu soon and finish what I started. Or maybe wait for 12.04 coming up soon....

11. linuxforall

Hey Kerodo, if you are distro hopping as usual, give Chakra a try, you might like it. :)

12. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

add
    acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
    to grub and update grub

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Will do... I'm trying all kinds of stuff, as usual, you know me... :)

Thanks also nisby79, I will try that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.