Ubuntu 8.10 is here...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Kerodo, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I downloaded the Wubi install and installed it in my Vista 64. Works nice with FDISR. It installs in the snapshot. First you get the FDISR logon screen and after that you can coose Windows or Ubuntu.
    No install, regardless of OS, has ever been this fast, easy and unintrusive. Ubuntu did it all and discovered all my hardware, I didnt have to do anything. I have a "22 screen and Ubuntu chose the right resolution for me (1680*1050) Real big improvement on the installation procedure, very intelligent :thumb:

Everything is really fast. Programs start and working in the interface.
    In earlier builds I was always disappointed coz I expected (and everyone said so) Linux to be way faster than my already fast Windows. This version is at least as fast as Vista 64 ( *edit* I take that back. Ubuntu is faster) (DOH!, now that I come to think of it why didnt I download the 64 bit Ubuntu)

Dont ask me why but I still love the compiz enhancements to the interface. Cube Desktop and wobbling windows, just great :)

The only negative is that the fonts in Firefox are terrible still.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I just enabled the update function in software sources, but I think I will wait a bit before leaving Hardy. I just recently finished my tweaking with it, and will wait to see what the consensus is with ibex.

Btw, my fonts look great in firefox (deja vu, autohinter enabled).

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Had some problems with it here, mostly ATI graphics related. However, I will wait a few days and try again. Part of it might be due to the servers, I couldn't seem to install ATI drivers from Ubuntu, and when I downloaded them from the ATI site, they refused to install, citing something to do with the kernel version or lack of support somehow or other. No good... Also could not get NTFS volume to mount, which never happened in 8.04. So all in all, I think it deserves another try in a few days. Seems odd to have any probs at all, I usually dont' with Ubuntu....

Meanwhile back to Vista x64.....

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Installed here, finally support for my printer and thats all I needed to leave Windows, hopefully forever.

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I loaded up the livecd into virtual box and installed it to a usb drive. Works like a charm, picked up my wireless card and had support for WPA2 and PEAP. Its just a bit slow though. Looking for a faster flash drive!

7. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

There are other ubuntu editions: kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu...
    Is there any noticibale difference between them other than the visual interface? What edition would be the best to fit pc´s with moderate configuation?

8. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'd say go for Xfce (Xubuntu). Light and fast and can be as configurable and pretty as any other DE with a little work.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

All of them do well on PCs with minimal resources, but Xubuntu is lightest as Xfce is very light as compared to KDE and Gnome.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Can I run Ubuntu from the CD? If so, what am I giving up by not installing it on my hard drive?

11. andb

andb Registered Member

Yes Ubuntu is a LiveCD so you can run it without installing it on the computer.

I never run LiveCD's, i always install :D so i don't really know what is different except the obvious that your changes are not saved. I guess there is an other obvious issue and that is there might be slow downs since it have to read from the cd now and then, example when you open a program etc.

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Bellgamin, I have never installed linux on my pc yet. I always just download the iso, burn it and boot up with it to see what it looks like.

Apart from the fact that when booting it takes a minute or two to get itself ready (plus I always have to remember to change the keyboard option to UK English) every thing works well.

It gives me the chance to play around, find new things etc, knowing that I cannot really damage anything, and I can pretend that I understand the command line (which I don't!!)

Ubuntu works very well on my machine as does Mint.

Go for it.:)

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

You are giving up on some speed as it will be slower loading from a CD than harddrive. You are also giving up persistence as any changes you make wont be saved.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi bill when you run from the live CD its a bit slow versus a full install to your HDD.Hence you should not judge its performance base on that alone.You can make changes while running the live CD surf the web as you would your daily OS.when done playing just shut down pop up CD No changes Saved,Have fun.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  15. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

Hi, first time I try ubuntu. Could you tell me how to know all of the drivers are identified and installed correctly?
    My laptop: Thinkpad X61s

16. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

The Fonts are an easy fix.

Install Ubuntu restricted extras from add and remove. MS fonts will be installed.

Go to: Preferences/Appearance/Fonts. Chose UnDotum 9 in Application Font, Monospace 9 in Fixed Width Font and Trebuchet MS 9 in the rest.

17. Riverrun

Play around with the 'Rendering' options. Subpixel smoothing or Best Shapes work well for me. Full or Slight RGB perhaps in the Details Option.

18. Riverrun

Ubuntu Restricted extras also installs Adobe Flash player, Java 6 and some useful codecs.

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Load up the livecd and see it detects everything. If it helps, I have a R61i and everything works out of the box.

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

When I ran the CD everything seemed very good hardware drive etc and continued When I installed to the HDD everything worked from the the wireless connection to the cd player and uploading photos from my digital cam etc etc.Since then I moved on to Kubuntu 8.10 not the same senario.The Wireless support seems week I need to move within feet from the router to connect or my network manager will not sync and my wireless signal is excellent with vista and Ubuntu not so with Kubuntu,But as I said as long as I am close to router on to first sync up connected, I am fine to move about.I am also having problems with CD/DVD but No big deal since web and email is peechie .As far as Ubuntu goes Imo its good to go even for a full transition from windows.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  21. Arup

Arup Guest

Kubuntu disaapointed me as I coudln't connect to the net with my ADSL by provicing a static IP and DNS, even the new 8.10 Ubuntu network manager has bugs but I have been able to fix it, otherwise runs solid and fast as usual. Not really missing XPx64.

22. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks a lot Riverrun! I´ve searched the howtos but I have not seen that one. I will try that.
    I have changed the font to a little bit more bearable one but it still looks really ugly.

btw there was an update today that messed up Firefox really bad for me. After the required reboot Firefox wouldnt start, it says Firefox was loaded already and I had to close it. But the funny thing was that there were no Firefox process loaded in memory so obviously the different kill commands (and reboot) that is suggested on the net when googling about this problem did no good.
    Very strange.

23. andb

andb Registered Member

When using ubuntu i always do this after a fresh install and have applied
    microsofts fonts.

In the terminal:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config

Font tuning method for screen: Autohinter
    Enable subpixel rendering for screen: Always
    Enable bitmapped fonts by default? No

In the terminal:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

In the terminal:
    sudo ln -sf /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-autohint.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/

Then in System->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details:

Resolution: 96 DPI
    Smoothing: Subpixel (LCDs)
    Hinting: Slight
    Subpixel Order: RGB

After that you logout or reboot and the settings should take effect.
    For me this makes a huge difference.

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Did you try the method I described in me review / tutorial?
    Or did you have to manually "hack" the network scripts?
    Mrk

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Mrkvonic,

Its a known bug, what you have to do is to add a new connection instead of edit existing connection, that way it holds the connection settings after reboot. Also with Intel embedded video like G31, 45, 45 etc. the system doesn't show display after re-logging, thats another bug being disucssed in the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.