Ubuntu 8.04 server and Echo for Linux don't work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by axisit, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I have been working with Acronis support for over 2 weeks on an issue. I see they come in here and post a canned response to everyone to open a ticket with support. Most all the emails with support seemed to be automated or canned response's also. Well here is your answer to that #1467986.

I have Ubuntu installed headless on a HP Proliant DL360. I am trying to get it to back up to a Windows 2003 server share on the local domain. In total frustration with support at Acronis I have read through every thread here dealing with these issues and still have no answer.

On 5-28-2008 I sent support a step by step detail of how I have installed everything on this server. Here is what I got back from support on 5-29-2008:

On 6-3-2008 I got this from support at Acronis:

On 6-10-2008 I got this from support at Acronis:

Later in the day on 6-1-2008 I got this from support at Acronis:

How can you acknowledge there is a problem, and that you are working on a fix or work around, then get that last email? This is not support, or at least its not what I expected when I purchased this software.

If someone thinks they may be able to help I could post much more detailed information here. If we get a answer here Acronis support could then copy that information so they to have the answer.

I am now questioning my decision to use Acronis for mission critical data. More so, if this was a real problem this is the support I would have to rely on.

2. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Acronis says they can't duplicate it. Could someone else follow along with this and see if you can duplicate it. I can do it everytime following these steps.

I am open for suggestions, more so that this is duplicatable.

3. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I have installed on another box and it will work. Now feel it must be driver troubles....

Anyone else use this on a HP DL360 with the CCISS raid card?

4. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I can boot from a Acronis True Image Echo Workstation CD and backup the box just fine, either local or to a network share. I think that rules out any hardware issues.

This server has a HP Smart Array 5i Controller V2.66 that it uses.

5. cybrsrce

cybrsrce Registered Member

I have a similar issue with DL380 servers and 8.04. I Can connect to the servers with the management console but when the backup starts it hangs the servers. Can't even login from the console and then have to hard reset the system.

Are you running the HP management software?

6. axisit

axisit Registered Member

No I am not running the HP software. It works from the boot disk of Acronis but not the install on linux. There has to be a difference in the enviroment from how it runs each way, or am I thinking wrong on this?

Your DL380 have a 5i controller?

7. cybrsrce

Yes, all six with firmware 2.62.

snapapi26 0.7.30. I couldn't get 0.7.29 to compile.

I have a spare DL380 that I was going to see if I have the same issue with fiesty. I have no problems with other dapper and feisty servers but none of those have internal 5i controllers.

8. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I got the snapapi26 0.7.30 to compile with above instructions.

Any idea what the difference could be from a boot disk and after we install it on servers?

I am in the USA are you?

Acronis support knows of this thread, I see they are really helping those of us that paid for support.

9. cybrsrce

Probably a big difference. Older kernel, different distro, different drivers...

I'll get started on the feisty test to see if it is a driver/module compatibility. This may be a hardy specific issue.

-I'm in the US.

10. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I was able to install on a old desktop system here with a single ID drive and it worked. I had it installed and working on the DL360 using 7.10

7.10 is not the LTS version so that is why I want to get it on 8.04

Wondering if I should have picked a different flavor of linux or different backup software....

11. cybrsrce

I think we need to take this conversation to the Ubuntu forums. If it works with 7.10 then someone should be able to tell us what is happening in 8.04 on DL3XX hardware and if there are things we can roll back.

12. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I thought Acronis was Ubuntu certified?.... LOL:argh:

13. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Is there a specific hardware list somewhere that acronis will work with?

14. cybrsrce

Small update: snapapi26 0.7.35 will not hang the system, it still doesn't ACTUALLY create an image but, you know, baby steps.

I'm still trying to find out what changes may have been made to the cciss.

I'm still at 2.6.24-16, have you tried 2.6.24-19?

15. axisit

axisit Registered Member

I am still at 2.6.24-16.

Where is support during all this? They have emailed me a couple times on this since I posted the history of this above. Both times I sent them a link to this thread.

Do you have a ticket with support also?

16. axisit

axisit Registered Member

We still have no fix from acronis on this. Sure am glad I picked some off the wall server like an HP and a operating system that acronis is certified in.

Guess its back to looking at backup solutions.

Was there anything more I could do here as a user?

17. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Support could you check on this?

18. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Support?

19. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Just checked email, got a reply back from support:

Is this the same lab that on 6-3 and 6-10 was working on my problem?

20. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Acronis has informed me that I will not get a refund. I should wait until they figure it out. :thumbd:

21. axisit

axisit Registered Member

Support we have an answer yet?

22. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello axisit and cybrsrce,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

It seem likely that there is an issue with the driver supplied with Ubuntu 8.04 for Smart Array 5i controller. Could you please try using drivers recommended by HP, as suggested by Denis via mail?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.