Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon - Overview (+videos)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have written a short review of the latest Ubuntu release, after having installed and tested in the last few weeks. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. Most of the stuff that I have had to do alone, manually before is now fully automatic, including drivers installation, 3D desktop, auto-mounting of drives, ntfs support, and more.

Plus, Compiz Fusion rocks the galaxy bollocks!

I have made a pair of short videos showing the 3D desktop. Enjoy!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gutsy_gibbon_overview.html

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Cheers,
    Mrk

P.S. If this does not convince you never to move to Vista, well ...

2. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

Nice review!
    As for my impressions about Gutsy, well.....Yah, it's nice :D . The only real problem i had was to make it reproduce the sound in 5.1 mode to take advantage of the logitech x-540 speakers and intel HD audio card. All it could ever do is play all of the audio in 2.1 mode (actually i haven't managed to make it work properly, so it's back to windows). Other minor annoyances include my inability to set video players to encode divx subtitles the way i need it (serbian latin, aka eastern europian encoding). Other than that, it's really a neat distro, very easy to use, pretty on eye, and with a little more effort on their side, it might actually be able to compete with the uber-coolness and sleekness of the XP :rolleyes: :D
    Cheers!

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Nice job. And I also admire you mouse skills. I've had no problems with 7.10 with the exception of the resolution of the boot screen. That was easily solved with adding the start-up manager from the repo. I got my cube effects, customized emerald window decorator, and my nuvola icons going with very little effort (and skill). Also, hardware support was automatic.

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    My mouse skills? Heh, thanks. Never heard that kind of compliment.
    Mrk

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Downloading it again right now. I tried it when it was initially released a while back and the live cd wouldn't work on this computer. Maybe in the intervening weeks there have been a few tweaks that corrected whatever was wrong. From reading your review Mrkvonic, it sounds very impressive. One can only imagine what's in store in the future releases. Microsoft has got to be getting nervous.

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

My first download, when 7.10 final was released, was buggy as hell. Second time was the charm.

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Edited the article a bit, polished the images, overall layout.
    Now I'm using the Ubuntu fonts and some of the titles are soft brown.
    Fits the spirit of things more, kind of like.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.