Ubuntu 18.04 + Unity - the desktop you always needed

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Redemption: here's an enthusiastic review of Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver with the Unity desktop environment, covering relevance, look & feel, ease of use, responsiveness, resource utilization, significant ergonomic advantages over Gnome 3, long-term production usage considerations, and more. Take a look.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-beaver-unity.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thanks Mrk, that was interesting, and optimistic lol.

'The menu that made the "community" hate Ubuntu.' ~ op cit

I never understood this. Unity was the best thing that happened to Ubuntu IMO.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The quotation marks are essential because if by the "community" we mean users then Unity was a win.
    Then there's the other Linux "community", those to whom the UI is a dirty concept.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The Ubuntu community seemed split roughly 50/50. Half loved it, half hated it. A bit like Marmite in that respect; you either love it or hate it. I'm more Vegemite myself.

5. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello Mrk,

I just installed Unity desktop in my Xubuntu 18.04. Did not have to select Light DM since the terminal didn't ask me to. After reboot, I selected Unity from the "Mouse" icon in the top right corner of the screen. Voila! Much has changed since I last used Ubuntu years ago.

Is there any way I can find more wallpapers? The number of default wallpapers currently available is rather limited.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The internet is your oyster. I get my wallpapers on wallhaven.
    Mrk

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just finally got around to installing 18.04 today and I must say I am pleasantly surprised at how nicely done it is. The install went smooth, zero problems, and everything seems to just work the way it should. Very nice... I actually prefer Gnome too, having gotten used to it with Debian in recent years. At any rate, I can highly recommend this one, so far it seems great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.