Ubuntu 12.10 review - Why so regressive?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The hunting season begins with a long, thorough review of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal 64-bit, tested in a quadruple-boot configuration on a laptop with SSD, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, including look & feel, Amazon search queries in the Dash and related privacy issues, multimedia playback - MP3 & Flash, new update notifications, online accounts, system resources, suspend & resume, good things like better printing, visual integration, refined searches, many bad things like a confusing download, flaky Samba sharing, weird graphics artifacts, slow virtual machine performance, one-window only programs, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-quetzal.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. karad

karad Registered Member

Great review Mrk! I really enjoyed reading it because you wrote it with a mix of skakespearian qualities plus sense of humor plus ,of course,knowledge of the matter!
    I was about installing 12.10 in my netbook in place of an old 11.10,but i will skip it and install 12.04 instead,thanks.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I imagine this is a Ubuntu shortcoming - the 12.10 based Snowlinux "Cream" Cinnamon release is quite lovely - with beautiful Faenza icons. The small boys are often overlooked by reviewers and they give a new version the extra loving attention the mainstream release doesn't get - and leave out the annoying regressions you don't want to have. Cheers! :thumb:

4. The problem with "nobody" distros like Snowlinux and ElementaryOS is that they can vanish overnight!

That said, I understand perfectly well why someone would want to use them. The "mainstream" Linux desktop is in a pretty bad state right now, especially for low-end computers, and Fluxbox/IceWM/etc. are not everyone's cup of tea.

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

No issues with samba here, not any slowness, in fact its quicker than LTS 12.10 on the icore 7 laptop.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i upgraded to 12.10 and have mix feelings some part is really good like unity launcher and ubuntu looks lot more smoothers but i agree its somewat buggy also Amazon results are irritating 3rd most buggy part themes wont work well its same as your review

but i have el cheapo nvidia 8600GT :p

so overall great review

i had a hard times with fedora in the past so all i can say its much stable then fedora after few updates and tweaks :D

but same time if rocksolid you want nothing beat LTS like you said

# Igor the Great #

:thumb:

7. sgr

sgr Registered Member

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I was not impressed with 12.10 at all. I quite like Windows 8 and have moved back to it.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

To each their own and good luck. Personally, probably of zero interest to anyone else, I have no interest in
    Ubuntu since Lucid. This latest review of Mrk's firmly puts the lid on any future trials.
    I am sticking to the 3 distros that do it for me; Kubuntu, SL or CentOS, and Xubuntu, in that order with thin margins of preference separating them.

My distro hopping and fiddling days are over.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mine too I'm afraid.. for me the only 2 choices are Ubuntu and Linux Mint, leaning more towards Linux Mint right now.... If I run linux, that's it for me.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I always enjoy reading your reviews. I don't know why the Linux landscape is becoming more crappy, but it seems to be. Anyway, great article as always..and try to stay away from the weird side of Youtube ((What exactly was that woman..Adele 20 years from now in comeback mode?)) :D

12. Mrkvonic

That woman, you will have to watch that ...
    Mrk

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I now understand why curiosity killed the cat, it accidentally clicked that video. Now if you'll excuse me, I managed to get a rare therapy appointment on a weekend and have to go.

14. roady

roady Registered Member

Wanted to do the same as you,but then I found out that EasyPeasy in back in business.....:thumb:
    I'm still on 1.6 on my netbook,but now I wait until the 2.0 alpha gets beta and then I gonna try it out....:D
    So I skip the "regular" netbook Ubuntu's for now....;)

15. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

eos luna broke... turns out the new libgranite library package broke the camel's back. Weird if you ask me - but if an end user has to reinstall the system and lock the package in place - its already an epic fail!

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

12.10 running fine here. Shopping lens is easy to disable/remove and 12.10 fixes an intel gfx driver bug that caused my laptop to crash on standby in 12.04, which is a big reason for me to upgrade to 12.10.
    12.10 also mainstreams the driver for my new USB wifi dongle, so no needing to write my own udev rule and modprobe script (as not longer marked experimental).
    The online accounts feature is great idea to centralise, but shame no integration with Thunderbird and not enough granular control, I want facebook enabled in shotwell but not in Gwibber or Empathy.

Cheers, Nick

17. mack_guy911

i am also heaving problem with nvidia drivers as well but open drivers work perfectly well so far here i am not into much gaming or compiz stuff so decent display is more than enough for me

on software updater setting or software source :)

Attached Files:

18. Mrkvonic

I have huge problems with Nvidia drivers.
    I will follow up with a high-end laptop review + Nvidia guide.
    They really messed it up. Worse than back in 2006.
    Mrk

19. tlu

tlu Guest

Kubuntu 12.10 running fine here. No problems.

20. tlu

tlu Guest

Uh ... ohh! You're definitely gonna miss AppArmor :D

You'll be back before long :D :D :D

21. Mrkvonic

What spec?
    Mrk

22. tlu

tlu Guest

64bit.

23. mack_guy911

also like to add xubuntu 12.10 is awesome trust me mrk you going to find it much better than 12.04 ;)

24. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've got old nVidia 7900GTX GPU's and the drivers work fine on them using Xubuntu 12.10 x386. I found Xubuntu 64 bit had some issues.

That's my take on it too :)

Maybe. He'll probably get hooked on AppLocker instead :D :p

25. Mrkvonic

Oh, I meant what graphics card? :)
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.