Ubuntu 12.04LTS beta released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com//precise/

Beginning with the Beta-1 kernel we have also enabled RC6 by default for Sandy Bridge systems. RC6 is a technology which allows the GPU to go into a very low power consumption state when the GPU is idle (down to 0W). It results in considerable power savings when this stage is activated. When comparing under idle loads with machine state where RC6 is disabled, improved power usage of around 40-60% has been witnessed. Up until recently, RC6 was disabled by default for Sandy Bridge systems due to reports of hangs and graphics corruption issues when RC6 was enabled. Intel has now asserted that RC6p (deep RC6) is responsible for the RC6 related issues on Sandy Bridge and corresponding patches have been submitted upstream. In an effort to provide more exposure and testing, the Ubuntu kernel team has applied these patches to the Beta-1 kernel and has additionally enabled plain RC6 by default on Sandy Bridge systems so that users can benefit from the improved power savings by default. We ask that anyone interested in testing and providing feedback to please refer to the PowerManagementRC6 wiki.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Installed on VirtualBox. This is way better than the Alpha release was. Actually I am liking more than Windows 8. Too bad it will never be a reasonable alternative. :ouch:

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

good news.

a few distros, such as Bodhi Linux, are based on the LTS Ubuntu and are only waiting for it to come out to release their own distos.

this year should be very interesting in the Linux world.
    hopefully, they will be able to make some converts out of the Windows 8 frustrated 'testers'.

4. linuxforall

I understand, in the same way Windows in any flavor will never ever be a reasonable alternative for me due to my mindset.

5. xxJackxx

...and the only thing holding me back... is that I can't put all of my Steam Games on Linux. I wish it would happen, then I would say goodbye to paying $500+ per year for software.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

7. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Yep, if I could move my steam games over, then I just might consider it too.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I've installed this on a separate partition and it's running great. I think Unity is actually starting to grow on me lol.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You're a brave person :thumb:

I'm waiting for the stable version and will upgrade the day it's released.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Has anything about it really changed? Think I might try it again if they've improved it. (Mainly want the bar on the bottom)

12. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

It seems much faster and more responsive, The quick lists on the bar i.e downloads, music etc are a nice addition. So far though the only options for the dock/bar seem to have it permanently showing over firefox etc, or to have it autohide so it only appears on mouse ove.

So far I'm really liking Ubuntu 12.04 Lts and it's a :thumb: from me to Canonical.

13. xxJackxx

I think you can hack things to move them around but if you don't like the layout then Mint/Cinnamon may be a better match for you. You can go with the bar on top, bottom, or both.

14. x942

x942 Guest

Works flawlessly! :thumb:

15. linuxforall

Sticking to LTS 10.04 and will change once its in version 12.04.1 but on my netbooks and laptops it would be right away with release of final candidate.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The Register continues to delight the Unity-haters :D
    but I got the impression that HUD is in PP.

Plus, a couple of kwality comments:

Comment: Typo? Should "ELUA" be "EULA"?
    Response: Re. Typo? Don't be silly - as any fule kno ELUA is a Hawaiian license agreement.

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Running both Ubuntu and Xubuntu betas in vbox, too early to comment, but Xubuntu installer colours not easy to read the only issue so far.

Cheers, Nick

18. elapsed

I already use Mint. Can you elaborate on what hacks you mean? I'm struggling just to find a configuration screen for Unity.

19. linuxforall

sudo apt-get install myunity best way to hack UNITY.

20. elapsed

Oh nice, but why doesn't it have the ability to move it to the bottom? (Unless I'm missing the option)

21. xxJackxx

It is. Press the Alt key.

22. xxJackxx

I don't know how, but I have seen articles where you have to edit the config files. I don't keep up with it too much because I am ok with it on the top.

23. elapsed

The top? Unity is on the left side in my VM. Very annoying place for me, I believe any and all elements should always be on the top or bottom.

24. xxJackxx

Sorry, I thought you meant the menu bar. It was a very busy day...
    Anyway I found this: http://www.unixmen.com/move-unity-launcher-to-the-bottom-with-unity-bottom-launcher-ppa-ubuntu/

You can look at this also: http://joesteiger.com/2011/11/06/move-unity-launcher-to-the-bottom-of-the-desktop-ubuntu-11-10/

I've never tried it as I don't mind the default setup.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.