Ubuntu 11.10 - Install in dual-boot with Windows

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

This being Wilders and all :D , I'd like to recommend another 'Dual OS' setup.

Windows will be your throw away, don't do anything sensitive/private OS. TrueCrypt Volumes *only* for data and running portable apps, if you must. Nothing eye catching if you know what I mean. You have no problem booting this at your local airport checkpoint. No encryption here der kommissar.

Partition a suitable size for you, in NTFS, leave the rest unpartitioned. Just install Windows as usual. Simple.

Then, install Ubuntu into an encrypted LVM, using the Alternate CD, as detailed here:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/10/how-to-install-ubuntu-11-04-on-an-encrypted-lvm-file-system/

When you get to setting up /boot, specify a USB drive or SD card (if your machine exposes the SD card to the install CD, your fine. If not, you'll have to use USB. You can either use a low profile USB straight off, or duplicate it to an SD Card after install. If the USB sticks out, it will get damaged, which is why I like SD).

Edit: You'll have to do this twice for some reason...even after specifying during volume group creation, Ubuntu still asks at the end about /boot...just type in /sdb1 (or whatever your disk setup happens to be. Also, no need to encrypt /home with this method.

Low profile USB http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb-flash-drives/cruzer-fit-usb-flash-drive

With this method, just powering on the computer, boots straight into Windows. In order to boot Ubuntu, you need to insert the SD Card or USB drive, and boot from it via the BIOS.

You could even have Windows auto log in for the friendly border guards if you wanted. I would keep a fresh Windows image on the Ubuntu partition however, to reinstall if the computer has left ever your sight. Germany is installing monitoring software for example. To-Do Backup is free and works well.

If you need to get /boot from a USB drive to an SD Card:

Terminal: sudo umount /dev/sdb1 (USB) and umount /dev/sdc1 (SD Card)

Format /sdc1 as ext2 with bootable flag with Disk Utility.

Then Clone with: dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1

When finished: sudo mount /dev/sdc1

And sudo grub-install /dev/sdc

That should do it, make a few copies. When Ubuntu updates the kernel, re-do your back ups with the above method.

PD

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.