ubuntu 11.10 feedback

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks, I was wondering what's happening.

I'm honestly surprised, after installing my old programs and using BleachBit, it's using 100 MB less space than before. Haven't even removed any default ones yet.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. tlu

tlu Guest

You might also want to try
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    and
    sudo apt-get auto-clean
    and deborphan.

To make a lot of things in the console easier I suggest to install wajig (and deborphan) and execute wajig autoremove, wajig auto-clean and wajig purge-orphans instead. wajig provides a uniform syntax for otherwise different commands like apt-get, aptitude, apt-cache, deborphan, dpkg, locate. It's really great, IMHO, and simplifies package management in the console. A comprehensive guide is available here.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

BleachBit already done those, and more. Not sure about "and deborphan" though. Is it like Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor?

BTW, how do you edit Unity menu items now? Manually only?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What do you mean by "Unity menu"? Can you explain or put up a pic?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Start menu items, as in shortcuts.

6. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Just installed on an acer laptop and this is my first taste of Unity. My impression though is that 11.10 is still buggy. Bluetooth is always on at startup, lost logon sound after my third reboot with only updates and a couple of messengers installed, some lag is noticeable as well as mouse pointer freezes from time to time (well this may not be due to ubuntu but the old hardware it is installed on so I might just settle for unity 2d if it performs a bit faster), and they still haven't fixed the thing with the ubuntu boot logo defaulting to a smaller res (800x600 I think?) when graphics card driver is installed.

Overall though, I like its feel and makes it a tad easier for a newbie on linux like me to transition from windows. Does anyone know if the upcoming LTS release have unity too?

Another question is while running on unity 2d, how do I disable applications from starting up maximized? EDIT Nevermind, found the setting via configuration editor

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Anybody still using the medibuntu repo. (for codecs etc.) ?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Made a mistake calculating size, it's actually 200 MB bigger.

Anyhow, I had to restore from disk image and install again, because of the stupid failed upgrade that kept disturbing Update Manager from working. Never upgrading that way again.

Just tried deborphan, but it found nothing. I'm guessing it is like Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor after all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, it will!

10. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Yep, my ffmpeg, libavformat-extra-codec53,w64codecs come from Medibuntu.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Great, me too. :)

12. caterpie

caterpie Registered Member

I just upgraded to 11.10 and some of my games that worked fine on 11.04 and lower now crash. I know it is not wine since it is the same since I upgraded. Any thoughts?

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ask at Wine HQ and try to mention the names of the specific games. That may improve chances of getting a useful answer.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Brace yourselves!

This is a super uber extremely long and enthusiastic review of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot with the Unity desktop interface; topics include testing on two systems, with 64-bit processor and a new Nvidia card and 32-bit processor with an old ATI card, live session use, installation to local disk and external USB disk in multi-boot configurations with Windows 7, Windows 8 and other Linux distros, Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, additional proprietary drivers including Broadcom and Nvidia, Nouveau replacement, web camera, look and feel, Unity 3D and 2D, applications, new features, user picture, account imports, Ubuntu One cloud storage, backup, Ubuntu Software Center, Music Store, multimedia playback - MP3 and Flash 11 with native 64-bit support, games and software for purchases, system menu and settings, performance, responsiveness, system resource usage, stability, suspend and resume, battery life, virtualization support, proxy support, fonts, icons, printing, kernel version 3.0, upgrade from previous version, interactive tour, and more. Take a deep breath, commence reading.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ocelot.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Wasn't apparmor-utils installed by default?

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Am using Kubuntu 11.10 - for some reason it wasn't installed by default.
    By your commentit looks like it is in Ubuntu 11.10.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes! And 13 profiles are active by default but not that of Firefox possibly for reasons given here.

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Aha, thanks for that link vasa, now I know why Firefox doesn't work with
    java (Oracle jre), whereas the 3.6x version does. However I am leaving the
    profile enabled as I use Opera for java. For me the good news is that Firefox 7x
    will load my Infoslips Viewer which requires a java runtime environment, as you can see.. (Opera is no can do in that regard).

Infoviewer.jpg

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You really need to sort that broker out ;) Box his ears!

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for the reminder tlu. When I first started out with Ubuntu and Linux
    (Gutsy 7.04 I think), I had gjig installed, didn't fully check out wajig and then
    somehow forgot about it with later installs.
    I agree, it's useful and fun to use.
    I found these commands interesting:-

rpm2deb Convert a RedHat .rpm file to a Debian .deb file
    rpminstall Install a RedHat .rpm package
    rpmtodeb Convert a RedHat .rpm file to a Debian .deb file

I presume one needs alien for that to work, but what is the rpminstall command all about - wajig is for debian so one wouldn't want to install an
    rpm package. :argh: The rpm2deb might come in handy.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi all,
    I've finally installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a fairly old notebook (no more dual boot), everything is fine except I have no sound. I've googled the problem, lots of people experiencing the same thing, many suggestions but nothing has worked so far, I was wondering if anybody might have a magic fix for it.

22. tlu

tlu Guest

Before going into details I suggest that you execute alsamixer in the console and play with the settings there. Helps in many cases.

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, try that first and unmute those bars with MM by pressing m on keyboard.
    Also see if your card is recognised - type lspci |grep Audio in terminal.

24. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

very nice and pretty positive review form your side mrk the main core thing i didnt like about new ubuntu is stabilty which is pretty stable now

i agree that it may be not best desktop/laptop but if i use it on Tablet/TAB or touchscreen i bet i am going to love its interface

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Did you solve your sound problem? The silence is confusing ;)

If you want more reading there's this! All 51 pages, though I suspect the later ones would be more relevant.

I got that link from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877267

You could also be more specific, detailing what you tried and what the output/result was. A separate thread would be nice. Hope things work out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.