UBlock Origin - a powerful Internet purification tool

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Cleansing the Internet, one page at a time. I have smithied a review of uBlock Origin, an adblocking and content blocking cross-browser extension, covering look and feel, old and new UI design, simple and advanced modes, element picker and zapper, Javascript, media and font control, logging, filters and manual list edits, accuracy, small snags, some other observations, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ublock-origin.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Mods: Please move into a different thread if appropriate.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks, will check this review out. And yes, it's one of the best extensions ever seen, awesome stuff. And it almost never causes any big problems, with that I mean, it almost never breaks websites. :thumb:

3. newbino

newbino Registered Member

:argh:

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How do I reverse the Block Element on a specific site? I blocked a couple click it buttons that are still there but I have to roll over them to see there options.

Edit: from reddit.

'"ContrastRider

3 points·3 years ago

• Click on the uBlock Origin icon to open the popup panel

• Click on the black bar (title bar) with the uBlock Origin version # to open the dashboard

• Click on the My filters tab

• Look for the ! with the date and time and URL or comment for the filter you made with element picker (The filter will be under that)

• Delete the ! section and the filter you made with the element picker and click Apply changes"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The easy way to unblock element filtering per site:

1. Open uBlockO panel
    2. Click on Per site switch: "disable cosmetic filtering for this site"

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just know that will be a fine read. Thanks as well. Will rummage throughout this write up with glee.

UBlock Origin is been a time saver on multiple levels every since turning to it for a better net experience.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

definitely the most essential browser extension.

8. aprilia1k

aprilia1k Registered Member

Greetings!

Thought I'd mention - when I hit your Review URL (uBlock Origin), FF uBlock reports that it blocked 8 elements, or 16% of the page. Heh. That's funny, eh? :) (that's not a criticism at all, believe me).

Thanks for providing this info (even if I am six months late), especially for those who aren't familiar or are aghast at the number of blockers to wade through.

I recently switched back to FF, happily - after having switched to Chrome in a child's fit, due to web-extensions' retiring the entire "Legacy" Firefox platform (ahh, so customizable, so many great (potentially uber-bloated) and useful add-ons, such a risk (for many) due to incidence of exploits blahblah blah).

BUT - I just can't deal with Chrome's handcuffed, one-size-fits-all mindset - I''d go Apple if I wanted to be a Sneech... lol, apologies ;-) There are new ways to get the "Legacy" feature-set, if you're determined and security-saavy anyway...

uBlock really has got the customization, logical interface and reliability I need.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

UBlock Origin and custom filters - Mini tutorial

Adblock, 'cause that's what plants crave. I have written a short tutorial showing how to create custom filters in UBlock Origin to allow or block specific Web page elements. Purifying the Interwebz, one site at a time.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ublock-origin-custom-filters.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

10. bozzy

bozzy Registered Member

I use ublock on my windows 1909 pc and have everything blocked, i enable what i need to get a website to work. i am currently watching a free sport streaming site and i have to block certain sites because of adds and so on , im looking at ublock in my browser and sites are still trying to connect to it, its now at 143and still climbing, why dont the original site stop this? if it wasnt for ublock it would be a nightmare to watch. Thx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.