µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I already explained this, I'm not an advanced user. :D

I don't use all of the advanced features, I just use a couple of ad blocking lists and that's it. I almost never look at the matrix, because to me it's too complex. That's why I'm also still using Ghostery and NoScript.

2. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

If you make some time for reading the basic documentation of uB0 (particularly concerning Dynamic Filtering) you'll notice that 1. it's not difficult and 2. you won't need Ghostery and Noscript anymore because you'll have their functionality in one extension.

3. Rasheed187

In some of the posts I already explained why I still need Ghostery and NoScript. Don't get me wrong, it's obvious that uBlock is one of the best extensions on the market, both for regular and expert users.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

@summerheat IIRC at one point you said alongside uBlock you still use Noscipt with scripts globally allowed for XSS and click-jacking? Am I right?

5. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Yes, you're right. In my answer to Rasheed187 I was referring to basic functionalities offered by those extensions he's using. It's true that Noscript offers an XSS filter and protection against Clickjacking. However, I sometimes wonder if installing it is really worth it (particularly if you block frames and 3rd party scripts by default in uB0 or uMatrix) as I haven't seen any XSS or clickjacking warnings in years. But yes - theoretically it makes your surfing safer ... ;)

6. Rasheed187

Gorhill, can you perhaps make a "click to play" feature for Flash and HTML5 video? I'm a bit annoyed with this kind of stuff:

http://alchetron.com/Indiana-Evans-529499-W

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

1.8.0 for chrome arrived in chrome store (but not in opera store). push the update button.

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i second that.

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Try flipping the flag media.autoplay.enabled as mentioned here@howtogeek

B/w i am cannot try this myself now.

Also, there is feature in uBO, which will block media (image, audio and video) elements, greater than threshold size given by the user. (and user can reload the elements when needed easily) I never used it though. Here is link to it.

10. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Maybe, Gorhill, needs to take a look at THIS
    Consolidated Lists save a lot of effort...:cool:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Rasheed187

Thanks, but I noticed that even though videos don't play, data is still being transferred, so in the background it's trying to load the video. I'm looking for a better solution, like true "click to play".

12. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

http://www.neowin.net/news/cat/software
    Top of page all the review ads..I use the element picker and eventually
    they are gone until i return to page of refresh, several version back it
    kept my settings..what have i don e to change it? thank you

13. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Found an issue with chrome which has lots of tabs in a session.

The session has this many windows and tabs "9 windows 193 tabs".
    When starting chrome, one tab in each window is loaded, rest are in suspended state, so 9 tabs load 1 for each window. All 9 tabs will load without any ublock filtering working, I have to refresh then page is filtered as normal, so seems the ublock code is loaded delayed, but I guess this is a chrome issue you have no control over.

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

This is a Chromium and Firefox issue -- there is no guarantee an extension will be ready by the time tabs are loaded. With uBO, I reduced as much as possible the load time by the use of selfies (snaphot image of uBO's internals). Once uBO's finish loading its filters, it will inject its own content script in all tabs to try to mop up whatever it can, but not everything can be retro-actively removed.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I don't recall seeing anything that made me optimistic that they would fix that. You? Do you happen to know if Edge has the same issue?

In terms of work-arounds, would a "intercept and remember tab requests, respond to those tab requests with a "please standby" page, then after all filters are ready load each tab with the proper page" approach work?

16. Brummelchen

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  17. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I doubt this will ever get fixed. I do understand the need for browsers to keep everything asynchronous as much as possible. Thinking more about it, there might be something I could do for uBO to minimize the likelihood of web pages loading before uBO is ready -- one thing that is guarantee as far as I understand is that extensions are loaded before web pages -- there is just no way for extensions to prevent the browser from trying to open the web pages before they are all setup. But uBO could probably block the loading of the root documents (as it does when it strict-blocks a site), then once all filters are loaded, it could reload all those tabs with their intended pages.

18. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

For me it is a minor issue, I mentioned it on the off chance you knew of a way to fix but you confirmed my thoughts its a browser not a plugin issue. :)

I also stopped using safescript now as I got warnings in the extensions page it was conflicting with ublock origin, and the recent versions of scriptsafe started to get bloated, no way I was ditching ublock origin so scriptsafe is disabled, my ublock origin is also in advanced mode managing 3rd party scripts so hopefully I have still got all the cases covered from scriptsafe.

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

anyone?? thank you :)

20. Brummelchen

ads injected by script. in chrome not possible to determine, but in firefox inspector - look for tag "ev" and click it. insert script name in "my filters". but be aware that many websites combine ad-scripts with usefull scripts - if some block ads it will block content. eg wetteronline-dot-de

21. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Brum..if that is the case why use the damn program..it should block them but it dont

22. harsha_mic

I dont see any ads. Even disabling medium blocking mode. Perhaps my chosen filter lists are blocking it.

Show us a screenshot of ads..

23. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Here ya go...all the ones that say review..review....poll..ect.ect....

Attached Files:

24. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello hayc59,

Try adding the following to "My filters"
    Code:
    www.neowin.net###promos

25. harsha_mic

hmmm..ok Those aren't ads.
    @puff-m-d solution will work for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.