µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Dynamic URL filtering could possibly be used to accomplish this. But without a real web page to work on as use case, I can't help with the details.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I use www.google.ca/maps/ and I created two fine-grained filters using the method you mention:

||apis.google.com/_/scs/abc-static/_/js/k=gapi.gapi.en.PQWOXwGAyXQ.O/m=gapi_iframes,googleapis_client,plusone/rt=j/sv=1/d=1/ed=1/rs=AHpOoo-SsKefX_tnkYaztI7tux9JZAkUgw/cb=gapi.loaded_0$script,domain=www.google.ca

||www.google.com/images/branding/product/ico/maps_32dp.ico$image,domain=www.google.ca

...the first a script block, the second an image block, and so far with some testing nothing seems to break, including the Directions functionality. Of course I'm not sure this method works for Rasheed, since he is using www.google.com/maps.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Will check it out, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to expert rules as you may have noticed. But do you perhaps know why disabling first party scripts on google.com and google.nl with NoScript, will make Google go into basic mode, while this doesn't happen with uBlock?

Actually, I made a thinking error, uBlock only looks at the domain name, so it's not even possible to make separate rules for maps.google.com and www.google.com, unless Dynamic URL filtering gives the ability.

4. Rasheed187

@ Gorhill

I noticed that on belegger.nl, sometimes uBlock seems to be forgetting certain rules. I always block vwdservices.com, because I get CPU spikes because of the realtime stock qoutes. But everytime I restart Firefox, it's enabled again. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

http://www.belegger.nl/Default.aspx

Sorry forgot to reply, but I didn't like uMatrix, I don't like the GUI, it's too complex for me. uBlock is much better.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

uM is the sequel to uBo - more granular if some needed - but as raymond wrote himself - uBo is at first a replacement for adblocker and script blocker.

6. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Didn't you forget to click the lock icon after making changes to make the changes permanent ?

7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

GitHub issue 308.

uBO can distinguish between www .google.com and maps.google.com. Be sure you expand the hostname list by clicking the "all" cell at the top.

8. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Softpedia has an ad that is slipping thru my web filters including ublock origin and when I use element picker to hide it, it comes back when I reload the page.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  9. stackz

stackz Registered Member

See if the following works:
    Code:
    www.softpedia.com###_wlts_lead

10. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

As a Firefox user, I still find Adblock Plus with Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus a much better ad blocker and a very simply and flexible method of blocking ads.

I don't value a few CPU cycles over functionality and performance.
    I don't notice the difference in performance with my computers. Do you?

I can easily block anything I don't wish to see. ;-)

11. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

As @stackz mentioned, his cosmetic filter will fix the issue for you.
    However you would have to add another filter to block network request for that ad too!

Code:
    ||www.softpedia.com/*lead*
    www.softpedia.com###_wlts_lead

12. harsha_mic

It depends on each individual. Personally, i want my applications (be it an AV software or an Extension), to be Resource friendly and do the job with minimal impact to the system.

When i shifted from ABP + Noscript to uBO, i saw following benefits immediately -
    • No more micro stutters to browser UI with day-day browsing activities. As a result browser feels more responsive. This is what caused me to shift to Chrome prior to uBlock Origin is available on Gecko platform.
    • Do the same tasks (perhaps for the most part) with just 1 single extension.
    • Ability to tinker with any requests the browser makes, be it other extension or any system addon.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I noticed difference when I switched from ABP to uBlock (though it was on Chrome). Browsing was quicker and little more responsive. After I enabled blocking 3rd party content (scripts and frames) loading times were reduced significantly.

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Nightly does notice it -- it will warn you about performance issues with ABP. I still have to see the warning with uBO.

15. Overkill

It seems to be working. Thanks

16. Overkill

What do these codes mean?

17. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

a generic filter with regular expression and a static filter for an element #

please read documents for ublock and html.

18. harsha_mic

A quick and dirty guide to element-picker..

Attached Files:

19. Overkill

Thanks hm

20. Rasheed187

OK, I see. Might come up handy some day. And too bad about the other issue.

Wait a minute, so you're telling me that all the changes I made were not saved? I don't understand the logic behind this, when you block some script it should be auto-remembered, not?

21. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

You can make changes and refresh the page to confirm the effect. you need to click the lock to commit the changes.

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

From Dynamic filtering: quick guide:

23. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

You have to look at it like this :
    - When you just "set" some filters, you're fine with them for your current session (until you close your browser) (This is fine for some site that you're not intended to visit on a daily basis, and you don't want to fill your rules with stuff that will be "worthless" in the future anyway)
    - When you want these changes *for ever*, you need to make them permanent (remembered after the current session) by clicking the lock item.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  24. Overkill

A friend of mine was asking me how to get rid of ads on this torrent site on the very bottom and when you search for something... he tried the element blocker but it keeps popping up when the page is reloadedo_O

25. harsha_mic

Am at work place now. Definitely not want to open these sites here ;)
    Will try in the night, if someone hasn't answered by then..

Edit 1: Has he tried, possible options provided in the element picker tool. By default it will choose the narrower scope to limit the impact i think. Try selecting a 2nd or 3rd option in the filter list (if available)..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.