µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. davexnet

davexnet Registered Member

Yes. They're both uBlock Origin, and both updated.

Sometimes on the computer, the video screen will go black for the 15 seconds, where the ad would have been.
    On the phone the ad always plays.

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

v1.1.1 released!!
    Raymond added one nice and elegant feature to this version, which is extending the strict blocking functionality!
    And as shown in example below, i was able to bypass navigating via googleadservices.com completely!! :)

Attached Files:

3. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

@gorhill

Hello Raymond, I would like to you to review below two suggestions, in improving the usability of My Rules tab -

Use Case: I have 7 temporary rules in My Rules tab. Of which i would like save only 2 rules and discard remaining.
    Current Situation:
    - I have to double click the Temporary Rules pane.
    - Scroll down where the rules are, and delete them
    - Scroll up and then click commit button to save the remaining rules

Proposed Solution:
    Improvement 1: I should be able to discard the temporary rules with a single click (so avoiding double clicking and deleting manually), as in uMatrix.
    Improvement 2: Commit and Discard buttons, should always be visible, even when user scrolls down.

See the below screenshot (which i tried to illustrate). I encounter this from time to time..

Let me know, if you agree, i will create an bug entry @github.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Hippocrates

Hippocrates Registered Member

@gorhill Any plan to release uBlock Origin for Safari? I'm have it on Chrome (which I don't use often)... but I'm still stuck with another uBlock on Safari.

5. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Anyone use http://www.thesaurus.com/? Try as I may, I cannot get the definition portion to appear without having to temporarily allow all. I'm shocked of how many things try and load on a simple page such as this when you go through and try to find the right combo.

Attached Files:

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It seems to be one of those infuriating sites that gives the finger unless one is willing to allow all kinds of Google and Instagram-related garbage. This is the kind of website I refuse to visit again when I encounter this kind of nonsense.

*EDIT*

Actually, it seems you shouldn't have to allow all that extra crap just to get the essential meanings of the word lookup.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Crappy site, which disregards that you may want to opt-out of Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. tracking. I found the following rules were necessary to make the site work properly:

* www.thesaurus.com facebook.net * noop
    * www.thesaurus.com google.com * noop
    * www.thesaurus.com instagramfollowbutton.com * noop
    * www.thesaurus.com sfdict.com * noop
    * www.thesaurus.com twitter.com * noop​

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

@gorhill : I switched two weeks ago from ABP to uBlock Origin, and I am very satisfied about how uBlock Origin works (especially in advanced user mode). I wanted to say "Thank you very much!" :thumb:

9. bberkey1

Thank you for the time Raymond, much appreciated. I missed the instagram one, didn't seem to be something that would make or break a site.

What really stinks is that just a few weeks ago all you had to do was whitelist scripts and frames from the actual thesaurus site and it worked just fine, but then their format changed and all this happened. Been seeing this a lot from other sites, where you only needed to allow a few simple rules and them lock them, but now it seems that more and more sites are headed this way. Thanks again for your time for both this and Umatrix :thumb:

10. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I just noticed one strange behaviour with Firefox 40:
    Open, e.g., http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/debian-project-aims-keep-cia-our-computers . uBlock0 will show several blocked requests. Now click the link at the bottom (https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds) and then the Firefox back button to get back to the linuxjournal.com site. Result: uBlock0 doesn't show any blocked requests anymore, the first column in the Dynamic Filtering pane doesn't show any colors anymore, and the + symbols in the 2nd and 3rd columns are missing. I guess this is due to that site still being cached. Only after reloading that site everything looks normal again. Is this a known and expected behaviour?

11. wat0114

As I alluded to earlier in my Edit, you should not have to allow noop on instagram and google crap. All the information on the word search is there, just in a different format!

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

* googletagservices.com * noop is the only thing I have allowed and everything appears normally. I have third party scripts and frames blocked. Are my rules too permissive?
    ublocko.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  13. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Probably not. That's what gorhill calls medium blocking mode. The next step, hard mode, would block all 3rd party sites by default, and this breaks many sites which makes a lot of manual adjustments necessary. It's your decision what you want.

Another question is if googletagservices.com is really needed to make this specific site work.

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Seeing people use medium mode makes me happy, it's really the optimal way in uBlock to reduce significantly your privacy exposure. I question though the noop'ing of googletagservices.com, as it is virtually the equivalent of asking Google to track you, see this diff between easy mode and medium mode: googletagservices.com qualifies as an ubiquitous 3rd-party.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im having an issue and not sure if its firefox or ublock. if i install ublock it works fine till i reboot the system then when i start up firefox its gone. not installed or listed in my extensions. i have to reinstall it again every time? any thoughts?

16. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Do you have ublock origin or just ublock installed.?
    Maybe the ublock is unsigned and firefox is disallowing it.

17. zfactor

ublock origin

18. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Anything on your computer which could remove it? An anti-virus? Cleaner? uBlock does not contain code to forcefully uninstall itself, something else on your computer is doing this.

19. zfactor

only firefox on this system my test rig no av installed. win 10 x64, office 2016, firefox, macrium reflect, and ublock. nothing more.

20. gorhill

gorhill Guest

It's not a behavior I've ever experienced. So this will have to be investigated by a developer who can reproduce this.

21. cooperb21

cooperb21 Registered Member

Is there a reason there is no Safari version of ublock origin?
    Im getting a mac for the first time and i dont want be forced to use ublock or adblock plus.
    I know i can use Google Chrome or Firefox on my mac but i kinda wanted to try Safari since its sort of exclusive to mac.

22. bberkey1

No this works, but I also use Umatrix, so I had to allow a few scripts, which I totally overlooked. I have set now, but thank you for looking into to the topic, much appreciated.

23. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

My current settings in uBlock Origin when running same time uMatrix: I check the box 'I am an advanced user', but have not applied the rules blocking 3rd party scripts & frames globally. Because in 'My rules' I have not blocked anything, uBlock Origin normally operates as in Easy mode.

However should I feel to disable uMatrix matrix filtering for whatever reasons, I can easy switch back to Medium protection by just 2 clicks for the global 3rd-party block rule for scripts and frames in uBlock. One reason might be some media heavy site, where I suspect uMatrix hosts files blocking stuff and uBlock having less ones to block strict I believe. Maybe just as lazy a surfer apply a local noop rule for a site in question.

24. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I went ahead and removed this from my rules. I can't remember why I had this set, but I assume some website functions did not work without it. I also have * ajax.googleapis.com * noop which breaks a lot of functions if you remove it. I.e.
    http://www.wincert.net/forum/forum/198-installer-repacks/ (Mark this forum as read) gives you an error if the rule is removed. When I have too many sites that need the same rule, I usually make it a global one. I also use a self destructing cookies extension for most sites.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  25. wat0114

You assume correctly; some website's functions don't work without it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.