µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. tlu

tlu Guest

As the "Details of changes " point to the chrisaljoudi 0.9.3.0 version, both should be identical right now. If and to what extent they will diverge in the future remains to be seen.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

But why the same name and icon!?

3. Kharom

Kharom Registered Member

Raymond updated the readme of his own version:

4. tlu

tlu Guest

YES! Just confirmed by Raymond. What a relief :)

5. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Is Raymond not active here any longer :doubt:
    Did someone at Wilders upset him :thumbd:
    Shame as I used to enjoy reading his wise words.

6. mkewU

mkewU Registered Member

Sounded to me like it was feature requests that drove Raymond nuts. I have no problem with uBlock as it is now being feature complete. Although the one feature I miss from Adblock Plus is being able to tap CTRL+SHIFT+V and get a listing of the page's content and what is being blocked, and being able to search through that content. IMHO, this is the one and only feature missing from uBlock. But even without it, I won't be complaining with what has been given us.

I'll likely be sticking with gorhill's version of uBlock to avoid feature creep. Simple is all I want.

Love uMatrix, but I hate Chrome/Chromium. Was hoping uMatrix would come to Firefox. Probably not going to happen now.

7. Kharom

Kharom Registered Member

You can do most of that in uBlock too, but efficiency trumps user comfort in this case. It doesn't work exactly like in ABP, true, but with some work you can gather the same information.

Since the extension doesn't store much data about blocked network attempts (simple numerical statistics notwithstanding) and doesn't gather any data about CSS insertions at all, the tab in question needs to be refreshed with the network request logger running. Once that's done, you can view all requests per tab and filter that list as well. The applied CSS can be found in a style-tag in the html header by using the inspector.

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

In the Dynamic Filtering mode of the latest version of Ublock (0.9.3), there are three icons in the lower portion of the GUI, but they don't seems to have any "flyover" explanations. Anyone know what each of those are and/or what they do?

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

i have noticed that some custom filters like youtube pure experience do not work in v1.9.3.0.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I think the problem is, and why burnout is high.. Programmers don't know how to run a business, and businessmen don't know how to program. uBlock is stable, and finished. It should transition to maintenance mode, and there would be little for Gorhill to actually do other than maintain it for future Chrome releases, and collect donations. In business you can't respond to every feature request, or answer to every complainer. You release a good product, and then transition into stable release mode. Progammers that try to run a business inevitably fail/burnout if they don't transition into a good business model.

12. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Seeing the current flow of things, if no serious Firefox porter is able to contribute to gorhill's repo, i guess it's game over for the Firefox userbase.

13. PallMall

PallMall Guest

Among my uBlock bookmarks I have a uBlock dedicated sub-folder which includes at its top uBlock - Home at https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock
    Haven't changed it and I won't.

Also, if I have nothing against donating to a valuable project, I do notice a different funding approach with uBlock's official repo, stating :
    "Free. Open source. For users by users.
    If uBlock is useful to you, donations to support development are much appreciated.
    "
    (https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/)

when gorhill mentioned at the uBlock's manifesto paragraph :
    "Free. Open source. For users by users. No donations sought."
    (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock).

I do have the feeling a difference of approach concerning uBlock and perhaps the very philosophy of the project may have lead to a split within the teams.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Maybe but it's irrelevant here, as I never saw this as a business.

It's simple really: I just needed help to take care of issues -- as in taking ownership of issues (investigate, find root cause of a problem, deal with OP, then close or details what needs to be fixed) so that I do not have to worry about it -- unless an issue had been identified in the code.

So many issues end up consuming so much time, for various reasons. Writing doc helps too, this is also quite time consuming, with having to create screenshots etc. I wish someone jumped in to create gh pages, to get something like this, which is good, to not have to commit images for doc purpose into the core project.

Just for a concrete (totally random) example: https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/issues/1144#. What a difference it would have made if someone jumped in right away and said, "I will take care of this issue". It's very time consuming, keeping in mind that the project is worked on free time.

Now imagine many issues where this would happen, many jumping forward to take full ownership of issues, this would have meant more time for me to actually code, run benchmarks, code review, write prototypes to test ideas, etc.

So I wanted more help to tackle issues, but at the end what I saw -- rightly or wrongly -- was more demand for my time, not more offer to spare me time.

Before someone is tempted to answer "why not just ask?", the answer is simple, volunteered work is something offered, not something demanded -- and it has to be about solving issues, not attempting to reshape the project to one's own subjective taste.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Gor, not trying to tell you how to run stuff but.. I've installed uBlock on at least 1,500 machines in the last couple of months. When I touch a machine I usually install it to help fight malware. Assuming roughly 900,000 systems are running uBlock, even a $1.00 donation link makes you a millionaire. Then you hire someone to do stuff. I know a few millionaires that released stuff, and then got donations, or came up with a silly $1 app, and had hundreds of thousands buy it.

It's a passionate endeavor for you, but it could have easily turned into an extremely profitable donation-based project.

16. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What is "Strict Blocking." I've read what I could find about it, but still not sure I understand exactly what it does.

17. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Assume strict blocking as some thing, where blocking/filtering happens on the root document.

Example, ||ABC.com filter blocks the domain to be blocked instead. Making the extension to block all the entries in the MVPs hosts file

18. tlu

tlu Guest

Actually the exact filter is ||abc.com^ . However, I noticed that if you simply add

abc.com

to My Filters

the site is blocked because of an existing filter

||abc.com^

So it seems that uBlock "translates" such filters accordingly.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you know if Opera extension will be updated?

20. A small miracle happened: I agree with you :D

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Alex vallat has taken on the firefox version.

22. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

And where will you be able to find that?

23. pasmal

pasmal Registered Member

gorhill, if you want more people to help debug issues or be cognizent of what an issue is before posting, create a `CONTRIBUTING.md` file in your Github repo:
    https://help.github.com/articles/setting-guidelines-for-repository-contributors/

Close all issues except legitimate bugs with the core code or just close the "Issues" tab altogether. All filter-related reports should be closed.

It is hard for uBlock contributors like Deathamns and Chris to know what you are really thinking through a few words here and there. Be clear and let them know what your grievances are.

Forking a project is a drastic decision that should only be taken if there is a fundamental problem with the direction of the project. Most of the time, this is due to a communication problem. Hopefully, you can guys can work it out.

uBlock has grown really fast over these last few months. It would be a pity to see two versions of the same project due to this miscommunication.

24. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

25. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Trying to find a copy of uBlock version 0.9.2.3 for Firefox. Any suggestions?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.