µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I have been pleasantly surprised by uBO Lite in MS Edge on Optimal with two extra built-in lists enabled and the PopUp Off add-on for any stubborn newsletter popovers. I have yet to try AG Other Annoyances.
    ubol.png

2. plat

plat Registered Member

Wow, this is encouraging, right? Mr. Hill did, however, make this comment on X a short while ago. So I guess we shouldn't expect absolute perfection, merely solid competence. :)
    gorhill ubol.PNG

3. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

This is why I keep going back to AdGuard, uBlock doesn't block cookie consent notices and I have the exact same filters as you

ScreenShot33.png ScreenShot32.png

4. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

uBOL's filters can't be updated real-time.
    You'll have to wait for a new version to counter e.g. YouTube's anti adblock measures... :thumbd:

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes exactly. I haven't got a clue why many people don't have this problem with uBlock. But as said before, I think it might be a bug of uBlock when combined with Vivaldi, perhaps I should report this.

BTW, I have another problem that I couldn't solve with uBlock's logger. For some reason, on this page the YouTube videos are blocked (scroll to bottom of the page) and I get a message in Dutch about the cookie notification that is blocked. I tried a couple of things like allowing youtube-nocookie.com, but it didn't work, any ideas?

https://www.filmvandaag.nl/nieuws/17649-nieuwe-streamingdienst-canal-keert-terug-naar-nederland

6. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

The only YouTube video that I find on that page is halfway the page, "CANAL+ keert terug naar Nederland". Do you mean that one?
    Using Firefox with uBlock Origin plus the 'I still don't care about cookies' add-on, the YouTube video is not blocked.

Filter lists.png
    Plus 'I still don't care about cookies'.

7. Rasheed187

Weird, with me all YouTube videos are blocked on this page, and I was talking about the video with René Mioch. I have disabled the I still don't care about cookies extension and I don't use any dedicated cookie filters in uBlock. Here is another link with a trailer for the new Napoleon movie. Can you see this?

https://www.filmvandaag.nl/nieuws/1...iast-over-historisch-epos-met-joaquin-phoenix
    https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/i-still-dont-care-about-c/edibdbjcniadpccecjdfdjjppcpchdlm

8. Stupendous Man

I did not know who René Mioch was, I had to do a web search. It's him in the "CANAL+ keert terug naar Nederland" video that I mentioned.

Yes, I can see that one as well, "Napoleon - officiële trailer".

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

the problem on your side is blocked doubleclick domain, and the banner is removed from anything else, so you do not see any video nor hint whats blocked.

10. Rasheed187

Yes sorry, perhaps I'm a bit older than you. He was a famous movie critic back in the days. I always watched his show on Veronica (Dutch TV channel) back in the 90's. :p

Yes, I just figured this out. I never had to allow doubleclick.net in uBlock before to get YouTube videos to work, very weird. I figured this out because the only thing that was blocked by Vivaldi's adblocker was doubleclick.net, so I knew this had to be the culprit. But thanks to you both for the feedback.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  11. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

12. Stupendous Man

On filmvandaag.nl pages, with Firefox and uBlock Origin and my filter lists, for the doubleclick.net domain, I see only securepubads.g.doubleclick.net is blocked.

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

but thats the jumping point ;) need XHR said uMatrix.

14. Stupendous Man

I knew him by sight, but I didn't know that his name was René Mioch.
    And I don't know if you're older, I think I just didn't watch many of the TV shows he was in or is in.
    But that's off-topic in this thread.

15. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

@Rasheed187

Cookie Notification message translated to English on filmvandaag.nl

Content is disabled
    It seems that the legally required cookie notification (CMP) is blocked by your browser or ad blocker. If we cannot inform you about our cookie use, we are not allowed to display this content.

Able to play YouTube videos on both pages and doubleclick.net is BLOCKED in uBO.
    YouTube-nocookie is set to * noop in uBO in order to see and play the videos.
    Also not using any uBO Cookie Notifications lists.

16. Rasheed187

Very weird, I haven't got a clue why it works on your systems, but like I said, the only way to make those YouTube videos work is by allowing doubleclick.net on my system. I hope people now understand why things aren't always as simple to solve. Because normally speaking, doubleclick.net is always blocked without causing any problems.

Attached Files:

17. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, nicolaasjan. :cautious: Tried many things incl. resetting network adapter, launching outside of Sandboxie, changing dns and wiping all Youttube cookies. I will try using the filter you provided and let one know the outcome. At least it's not only me and it seems to be an intermittent thing, though it happens more often than not.

Just did some updating of the Quick Fixes filter in uBO and YouTube page seemed to load a bit faster. But this could revert or change so I don't consider it really "fixed" yet.

19. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

As alternative one could use the Duckduckgo-video-option: www.duck.com > search for something > Video’s > Choose Duckduckgo as player of the Youtube video. More privacy and no ads at all.

20. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I also got cookie notices on both of those sites with uBOL. I currently use it only on Edge, with which I only browse a limited number of websites.

21. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Something is up with uBlock Origin/uBOL. I've always had this problem, same filters that I have in AdGuard but they don't work so I always go back to AdGuard.

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Is the the extension you are talking about for 'I still don't care about cookies'

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/istilldontcareaboutcookies/

23. Stupendous Man

It is.
    It was mentioned in the Avast aquired "i-dont-care-about-cookies" thread as well.

A problem with 'I still don't care about cookies' is the latest add-on update was last February.
    And there are 5,9k open issues, mostly reported websites.
    July was the last time a lot of issues were fixed and closed.

24. Rasheed187

And BTW, allowing doubleclick.net is also needed to display imbedded Twitter content, see link about the Creed 4 movie. Very weird, never saw this before, I mean what does doubleclick.net has to do with cookie notifications?

https://www.filmvandaag.nl/nieuws/17745-creed-iv-in-ontwikkeling-met-michael-b-jordan-als-regisseur

25. Rasheed187

BTW, another thing what I love about uBlock Origin is that it allows you to block videos (with autoplay). On Yahoo Finance and Investors.com I have simply blocked brightcove.net and jwplayer.com and poof, the problem is solved! I thought it was worth mentioning. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.