µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, thanks for the feedback. But I can't do anything about the amount of network and cosmetic filters, I would have to disable some filters, which I don't want to do. While the amount of filters may seem excessive, I don't notice any effect on browsing performance. So I'll leave it as it is.

If anyone still thinks it would be worth uploading a filter, please let me know.

2. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I agree. This is particularly true if Dynamic Filtering is used.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I'm struggling with DF a bit. Sometimes it's too much sometimes it's too little. I can't find the right balance.

4. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

Do you use uBO's log? Very helpful.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, will use next time. Thanks!

6. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

In my opinion, all cookie consent blocking lists are flawed.
    Which one do you guys use?

7. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I do not use a cookie consent blocking list in uBlock Origin.
    I prefer to use the "I still don't care about cookies" add-on in Firefox. It works well for most websites. For websites on which it doesn't work, a report can be posted and the problem will be resolved.

8. Sampei Nihira

Extension development is stopped in February 2023, the open issues are numerous.

9. Stupendous Man

That's not good.
    Was there any post mentioning what's going, or a post mentioning the "I still don't care about cookies" project was abandoned?

10. Sampei Nihira

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

12. Sampei Nihira

13. Stupendous Man

"I still don't care about cookies" latest installed version for the Firefox add-on is 1.1.1, February 17, 2023.
    If you mean recent updates for the "I still don't care about cookies" add-on's consent blocking list in some directory, I'm sorry, I don't know what exactly to look for and in which subdirectory exactly. Probably in a subdirectory of ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default-release/ but I don't know where to look exactly.
    I hope someone can tell me where to look and what to look for.

(N.B. As this is off-topic in the uBlock Origin thread, perhaps this discussion could be moved to the "Firefox addons" or the "Avast aquired "i-dont-care-about-cookies"" thread.)

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

data is hidden somewhere in the profile -> \storage\default\moz-extension+++

the id after belongs to the id in about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox from where you can inspect extensions like a website.

at least this is about:ublock, maybe you should start a new thread. i abandoned the extension years ago because useless, after i used the list in uBo. there exist NO evidence against avast since it overtook the extension. and you can be sure that "recommended" on AMO means strict code inspection, there exist no hidden tracking. the original is younger than the bad fork which was based on the chrome extension and led to a lot of issues. what i dont get that you moan about missing further development, but still use an outdated extension for no reason while the original steps ahead and still has no evidence about spying.

15. Stupendous Man

Thank you, that was helpful.
    I found ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default-release/storage/default/moz-extension+++[yyyyy]
    with [yyyyy] being the Internal UUID for "I still don't care about cookies" as found in about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox

However, I was not able to find info regarding "I still don't care about cookies" consent blocking list updates.
    If anyone is interested, perhaps the discussion can be continued in the "Firefox addons" thread, or the "Avast aquired "i-dont-care-about-cookies"" thread, or a new thread can be started as you suggested.

I don't think that I 'moaned' about anything. I only said "That's not good" in reply to Sampei Nihira's remark "Extension development is stopped in February 2023, the open issues are numerous." I don't see how that is 'moaning'.
    Anyhow, I'll see what to do, perhaps go back to the original "I don't care about cookies" add-on, or use the Cookie Notices list in uBlock Origin.

16. Sampei Nihira

There are probably 3 lists to choose from:

• EasyList – Cookie Notices (list with higher number of rules,is present in UBO)
    • AdGuard Cookie Notices filter
    • I Don't Care about Cookies
    It is not acceptable that one of Europe's largest airports is excluded from the last 2 lists:

https://www.adr.it/fiumicino

Rule that solves the problem:

Code:
    www.adr.it##.cookie-law-cont
    I'm not opening an issue because I've already opened 2 today.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  17. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much.
    A couple of hours ago, I tried EasyList Cookie Notices in uBlock Origin. For me, that does not work as well as the "I [still] don't care about cookies" add-on in Firefox. The first website that I tried, volkskrant.nl, came up with the myprivacy.dpgmedia.nl request. I had seen enough. I reverted to the "I still don't care about cookies" add-on, which takes care of myprivacy.dpgmedia.nl, and many others.

18. Sampei Nihira

;)

If you want to open an issue for the AdGuard Cookie Notices filter you can use:

https://reports.adguard.com/en/new_issue.html

you can replace "en" with other languages.

P.S.

Cookie consent can be blocked in "volkskrant.nl" with Local Inline Script blocking,but I don't know your language to check if then the website works 100%.

1.jpg

19. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, I can do so if I ever try the AdGuard Cookie Notices filter list.
    For now, I tried EasyList Cookie Notices in uBlock Origin as I mentioned, and I didn't care to report myprivacy.dpgmedia.nl. As the first website that I tried was not supported, I lost interest in the EasyList Cookie Notices list.

Thanks, but as I have not enabled advanced settings in uBlock Origin, I don't know if such option is available.
    Although, probably I could create a personal filter rule to block specific scripts.
    For now, I'm happy with how the "I still don't care about cookies" add-on works.

20. pegas

pegas Registered Member

+1
    Cookie consents actually bother me more than ads if any slip through uBlock.
    IDCAC extension
    EasyList Cookie Notices filter
    AdGuard Annoyances filter

and it's still not enough.

IDCAC's reporting is user friendly but it seems that Avast (behind it) only collects data but does nothing with cookie consent reports, the extension is poorly maintained. I really miss a decent and maintained filter.

21. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

The AdGuard Annoyances filter blocks quite nicely (for my website usage), when activated in Adguard. Used in Ublock it doesn't seem to work the same way it does in Adguard.
    E.g. https://www.volkskrant.nl/ no consent banner show with the AdGuard Annoyances filter in Adguard (it just seems to autoclick it in 0.2 s).
    Sorry for the short off topic

22. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

AG Annoyances filter for AG itself isn't the same as AG Annoyances filter for uBO. The first shows in uBO 3383 errors, the latter shows 'only' 7. It's a matter of not corresponding syntax.
    AG original Annoyances filter:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/A...aster/filters/filter_14_Annoyances/filter.txt
    AG Annoyances filter for uBO:
    https://filters.adtidy.org/extension/ublock/filters/14.txt

23. Sampei Nihira

Hi,:)
    a strange coincidence that "uBO_medium_mode_filter" by Lenny Fox.

https://github.com/LennyFox/Blocklists/commit/17cbdfd110f59cdb86ecc909baee3e563e5eca60

underwent the same update today:

Code:
    ||go.com^$third-party
    of "EU_US_MV3_most_common_ad+tracking_networks.txt" by Kees1958.

https://github.com/Kees1958/W3C_ann...mmit/abca60c1b794750d0e8b135e97a9696b2a21f663

If we also take time as a reference,it is now 6h......for both filter lists.:confused:

24. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, from what I understand, both are from the Netherlands so maybe they even knew each other on a personal basis? The last I heard about Lenny Fox was that he was in Africa teaching cooking classes (I did not make this up). But in two or three years, a lot can happen obviously. :)

Edit: here is something I found in a quick search. This is Kees--he withdrew his acct. after a run-in with some others at MT.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/merry-christmas-and-a-happy-new-year.111528/#post-968982

25. Sampei Nihira

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.