µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

2. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

You're absolutely right, but sometimes it can be rather daunting to pick the right thing(s).

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

the problem with the picker is that it can become a regular behavior rather than using a list. my personal filters have reached a bad end, its far to big - with only 1400 entries.

picking the right, in some cases its better to deal with the inspector of used browser.

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks for the warning! :)
    So far I have only 53 entries in uBO 'My filters', mostly page elements and a few nags, for daily visited sites.
    I hope to keep it as lean as that, and not to be tempted to block each and every annoyance.

5. Brummelchen

one of my problems due to such long list is - i dont have a clue if all entries are currently used or working. that list grew over the years. inserting the list with my own server detects 6 duplicates, but no hint which one. anyhow 6 is ok.

6. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

7. Stupendous Man

Ah, thanks very much. So I wasn't crazy, to notice a scroll lock. Good that it's a documented issue and there is a solution.

Now using Fanboy's Annoyance instead of Fanboy's Social, the overlay reported by Rasheed187 is gone, so there is no need to use the element picker to create a filter.
    I don't know if Rasheed187 will use one of the Annoyances filter lists, to make life easier.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have now enabled this filter. But I see these kinds of pop ups on many sites, even with Adguard Annoyances. I remember when I was fed up with pop ups back in 2002, I started to use an IE Browser Helper Object named PopUpCop, it was awesome! After that I switched to Maxthon, which had a built-in popup blocker and still used IE's Trident browser engine.

https://popupcop.en.softonic.com

Sooner or later you will get to see pop ups when you click on those news articles on thestreet.com, unless you have some more aggressive filters enabled. About the yummy food, chicken is called kip in Dutch, which might be weird since it's also a first name in the US. :p

9. Rasheed187

Now I know why I sometimes disable certain filters, I couldn't load the 2FAS site, but it did work when I disabled Adguard Annoyances.

https://2fas.com

10. Stupendous Man

If you like, you could try Fanboy's Annoyance instead.
    No issues loading the 2FAS site.

11. Rasheed187

Well, that's weird that it works for you. And Fanboy also gives me troubles, so that's why I don't use them. I sometimes have quite weird issues, for example a week ago, imdb.com wouldn't load correctly but only when I visited it via Google Search. I'm not sure who was to blame for it though, but I had a feeling it was caused by some uBlock filter.

12. Stupendous Man

If it's not Fanboy's vs AdGuard annoyances list that makes the difference, it might be a different browser (or browser settings). I recall you use Vivaldi, I use Firefox (with non-default settings/preferences).

13. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, as long as you're content, Rasheed. :thumb:

Was being a Twit today and found that Mr. Hill posted about another ad blocker currently available in the Chrome Web Store that uses an old uBO engine and a little something "extra." No one around here would use that in lieu of uBO, would they? Huh? :cautious:

https://twitter.com/gorhill/status/1632448911766945794

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi @Stupendous Man
    could be added the Fanboy's Annoyance in adguard and vice versa adguard in ublock ?
    I would like to block youtube nasty ,adguard can do it , ublock origin seems not
    would you like to share your list ?
    thanks

15. Stupendous Man

In uBlock Origin, AdGuard options are available to choose for several filter list categories: for Ads, for Privacy, and for Annoyances.

I use uBlock Origin's default filter lists as shown in the wiki in Dashboard: Filter lists,
    that is plus uBlock filters - Quick fixes, which is also default but not shown in the wiki,
    plus I use Fanboy’s Annoyance,
    plus uBlock filters - Annoyances,
    plus regional: NLD: EasyDutch (for the Netherlands),
    plus 53 rules under 'My filters', but I think those are only relevant to me, as those are mostly page elements and a few nags, for my daily visited sites.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    yes but , when i browse youtube without beening logged in , adguard let the videos start without any ads or annoying banners / windows
    sadly ublock orign not , maybe are my rules or there is something wrong in my configuration

well , I appreciate it
    do you use ublock uBlock Origin Lite for manifest V3?
    thanks

17. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Users of Fanboy's Annoyance list may wish to check out https://github.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt Annoyances list instead. I find virtually no breakage that I can recall, though your experience may be different due to browsing habits.
    Highly recommended! :thumb:

18. plat

plat Registered Member

I may give that one of Dandelion's a try. I use the Dandelion Srprout's Annoying Banners and Overlays list but it's not universally effective. But my encounters with these annoying nags to sign up or whatever are pretty rare anyway.

I happened to view Dandelion's homepage on GitHub--be aware that his lists will "never support Manifest v.3." I'd better keep that in mind.

https://github.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt/blob/master/.github/README.md

19. Stupendous Man

In uBlock Origin 'My filters', I added: www.youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element
    That blocks elements overlapping the end of YouTube videos. That was relevant, some years ago, I haven't tested if it's covered by default filter lists, nowadays.
    I think all or most other ads and banners in YouTube videos should be blocked by the default uBlock Origin and EasyList filter lists.
    The only other thing that I can think of, is that you may need to ad a filter list for your specific region / language, under 'Regions, languages'.

No, I use regular uBlock Origin for Firefox, not a Chromium browser.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  20. Brummelchen

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

FYI, Opera extension has just been updated to 1.47.4.

22. plat

plat Registered Member

Thanks, build 1.47.2 sure didn't last long, then.

Had lots of filter lists to update manually just now but as usual, Firefox stays at 1.47.2 for the time being.

23. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

24. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

25. Stupendous Man

1.47.4 now offered on Firefox as well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.