µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. plat

plat Registered Member

No, I didn't have any problems with Sandboxie at any time in this context. It was prob. some errant cookies that got in the browser when Firefox was un-boxed and then weren't auto-deleted when Firefox was boxed again. When I manually deleted them, WSJ could be read in its entirety.

It's an underlying slight concern of mine to have to replace bits and pieces of uBlock Origin with yet another extension as time goes on. Thankfully, it didn't have to be done this time and the Bypass Paywalls Clean still functions as intended. At the moment, any cookie consent ext. isn't necessary on here but maybe in the future, who knows.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi stapp,

No problem here with MSEdge or Brave.

@Brummelchen , if you don't mind, what's wrong with "I don't care about cookies"?

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

This was on Vivaldi... didn't check Edge. May do later today.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Krusty
    Checked Edge after installing and testing it (unsandboxied) I still see no scroll bar at right hand side of GHacks page so I have uninstalled it.
    Screenshot 2022-04-03 081733.jpg

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

chrome, edge, chromium?
    sorry to read, but not here, see image please.
    but for ghacks net there is no need to, i dont have consent dialogs although privacy-center.org is involved.
    for firefox same, "consent blocker" is blocking zero.
    pity, it works on google, but not on youtube and chrome webstore, but again wall street journal.

for google and youtube this one works (only here)
    "Consent Popup Blocker"
    for "wsj" this one is also working
    "Cookie Notice Blocker"

none of them working for chrome webstore, this is equal to mozillas AMO which are secured with CSP, none extension is allowed to work on such pages.

PS
    this IS ofc a problem with sandboxie, related, although sandboxie is not causing it. and i wrote why. nevertheless you now know that you should tell all and eliminate such circumstances.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, in the past few weeks I noticed that I got CPU spikes on thestreet.com, this means it would freeze for a couple of seconds when loading articles. Then I was somehow able to fix it, by disabling certain filters and enabling other filters. My question is, how come uBlock was able to fix this problem, was it caused by some type of script?

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

This email i get daily has links in it that always work except in the last few days. The company said the problem must be on my end. Does it work for you.. I right clicked and copied the link addr .... https://t1.emails.lifeextension.com/r/?id=h6c97dad0-7054-4332-8eb8-ab67f07b26c8,563e6c,eb97&BD=20220331&CT=true&CID=675be067-e8f1-4752-96d8-69829b162639&utm_medium=email&utm_source=clc-retention&utm_campaign=CLCXX38E&a=1&p1=02201&p2=CLCXX38E&s=7OACYKpU4y7oYsVOYOMom43nswcmzCqKIYHUs2mV1io

9. plat

plat Registered Member

I got this when uBlock Origin was both enabled and disabled.

nb.PNG

When I disabled Trace, however, I got a page describing the benefits of Melatonin. Whether uBO was off or on, made no difference. Something Trace-related shut the page off. Since I have multiple Trace settings enabled, I didn't go thru each one to see what was the culprit.

life mela.PNG

Do you have any other security or privacy-related ext. you can temporarily disable?

Edit: found that it was the URL stripper in Trace specifically. If you have a list related to URL cleaning, like ClearURLs list in uBO, try disabling that and refresh, maybe?

10. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Good find, in uBlock it is the AdGuard URL Tracking Protection filter, if you have enabled that.

11. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I do have it enabled. I turned UBO chrome ext off and right back on and the email links work now. I didn't touch the tracking protection filter. You people are good. Thanks for the help. In chrome edge i have to uncheck the filter for the link to work. In Comodo dragon if i turn the UBO ext off the link still does not work no matter what i try to do.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  12. Brummelchen

for here it was "consent blocker".

13. Rasheed187

Guys I need help, I need to figure out what filter to disable or what to whitelist because uBlock is blocking some stuff.

1 Can anyone tell me why I can't play the video on Business Insider, it always disappears when scrolling down.
    2 Can anyone tell me why I can't play certain videos related to the new Viaplay streaming service.

https://www.businessinsider.nl
    https://www.ad.nl/formule-1/verstap...ei-risico-s-maar-er-is-veel-respect~a0d45c07/

(scroll down to video on both sites, I get an error)

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

videos play fine here. did you try using the logger to find out the culprit? i suspect it might have something to do with your regional filter.

15. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

The JShelter extension makes the following appear in the UBO:

3.jpg

I have opened an issue for the attention of the developers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  16. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

No luck with the first link, although I didn't try too hard, but on ad dot nl I had to noop as per attachment...

www.ad.nl.png

Sometimes to unbreak a site, it's easiest to temporarily noop all 3rd-party content, then refresh to see if that works. If it does, then select the domains that have been allowed (look for green on the far left), and noop them permanently, either globally or for the specific site.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  17. Sampei Nihira

I removed JShelter.
    I don't have time to waste with these "developers" .........
    :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/51

P.S.

My compatriot Giorgio Maone added more information when the problem was closed, but the "non-problem" remains.

Question.

How do you instruct UBO not to consider this?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

19. Brummelchen

ff00:: looks like 127.0.0.1 in the matrix, which is an error in the webpage. there exist a link within page to such address. i dont mind. at least it is NO issue because firefox and chrome are not allowed to read files from locale frames that way.

20. Sampei Nihira

My issue has been reopened and changed in title.
    I decided to reinstall JShelter to see if disabling the individual mitigations does not cause the problem.
    But it doesn't.

If the developer needs information that solves the problem,he should contact Mr.Hill or study a solution.

21. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

The problem is clear as explained by Giorgio Maone. No reason to be that unrespectful against polcak, though.

22. Sampei Nihira

Please read the additional comment.
    TH.:thumb:

23. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Thanks - appreciated :)

24. Rasheed187

Thanks for the help buddies. It's a bit frustrating that it's often not clear which filter is causing the problem, I wish uBlock could make this process easier because the logger is a bit complex to figure out. I often end up switching from filters, but this is not the best solution. Sometimes I disable uBlock and enable Vivaldi's adblocker but it often blocks the same stuff too.

25. Sampei Nihira

Note that Kees1958's list is finally in FilterLists:

3.jpg

For easier searching we recommend using tags:

UBlock Origin + Privacy

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.