µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. silat

silat Registered Member

I put the rules in and "numion.com nfl.com frame allow" will not take. Ublock spits it out.
    Also http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456365/article/john-harbaugh-pats-substitutions-deceptive does not work properly for me.

2. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

3. Is that on VM, it loads in approx a second (G3240 dual core)

Attached Files:

4. gorhill

gorhill Guest

The test is for uMatrix.

Re. uBlock: "Does not work properly" is too vague, need to be more specific about what is not working. I could play the video just fine, despite having a whole lot of non-default filters, I didn't need to fiddle with anything.

Edit: I noticed a lot of requests to "taboola.com" on that page. I decided to dynamically globally block "taboola.com" and the page still worked just like before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I'm on circa 2003 hardware :) I haven't checked yet on my other hardware, circa 2005 (although it's a gaming machine), so I expect better results.

@Windows_Security, not a vm.

6. silat

silat Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Got it working.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

FYI: You can pick up a Circa 2012 desktop, like new (refurb) for $89-$99 from most stores like Microcenter and donate your circa 2003 box to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Thanks, although I've looked at a similar idea, I will soon be building a new gaming level machine. I get a vendor deal through my employer where I can buy all the parts from.

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

@gorhill
    In this section of wiki you're comparing uBlock with ABP. Would you be so kind and could compare your application with Adguard resp. with its Chrome extension? Do you recommend to use both at once?
    Thanks!

10. gorhill

gorhill Guest

What section of the wiki? What does "resp." means in "Adguard resp."?

In any case, thing is, whatever I report in the wiki, consumes a lot of my hobby time (benchmarks, etc.). But these were my questions, these were things I wanted to investigate out of my curiosity, I just share everything. But really anybody can do their own investigation to answer their own questions, it does not have to be me spending my time investigating other people's wondering. Already coding/maintaining the whole thing is taking up a lot of my hobby time, needless to say.

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to paste link to my previous post, in fact I meant this https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/What-µBlock-can-and-can-not-(currently)-do

12. gorhill

gorhill Guest

13. With only advertisement filters: 23,579 network filters + 1,065 cosmetic filters from, uBlock blocks 13 -14 percent of the requests. :thumb: :thumb:

The new simplified uMatrix like interface is very easy to use also :thumb:

14. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

15. luxi

luxi Registered Member

16. rethink

rethink Registered Member

@gorhill: Maybe you could add a type of filter for redirections? Some sites use some of them and they are easily bypassable.

17. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Most of you already know this I'm sure but this keeps cookies from loading when the script is blocked.

I use Facebook comments on ESPN and the ProvidenceJournal website. In order to do so I a have to allow Facebook third party cookies as a global exception. However I have found that they do not load on any sites where the facebook scripts are blocked. I click just to the left of the url in the address bar to check.

Just another benefit of this - site by site cookie control.

18. @gorhill Some feedback: first my complements to the user interface of uBlock. Secondly a feature request.

I am using uBlock to block third party scripts and iframes with Ads+Privicay list filtering. Third party iframes seldom break functionality of a web site, but blocking third party scripts blocks photo series and movies on some websites (e.g. news/sports websites).

Trigger: blocking third party scripts breaks functionality
    => look up the website at VT, clean? => set third party noop (grey)

Quick check of the impact of dynamic allow (noop) rule, looking at the websites allowed (slipping through static filtering AD+Privacy rule):
    => look up this website at who-is, ads/tracking related? => block it

Would it be possible to add the look-up (VT and who-is) to the user interface, to facilitate the narrowing down of a third party noop?

Thanks Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  19. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Ran an update for extensions on the Chrome store for ublock and umatrix and the latest versions available are uB 0.8.5.3 and uM 0.8.1.3. Similarly on the Opera store for ublock and umatrix, 0.8.5.3 & 0.8.1.2, respectively. Are these the most current available? Any chime-ins to confirm would be appreciated. Meh... no biggy if the "stores" are behind the proverbial eight-ball in any event. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In µBlock > Options > About, you have a link for Change log: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases ;)

21. buffering

buffering Registered Member

Using the beta version for firefox and I would like to thank you gorhill and Deathamns. Really appreciate your creation.

22. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There is no uBlock dynamic filtering matrix in Opera 26 (Linux) browser despite ticking off Advanced User in settings.
    uBlock v 8.5.3
    No problem in Chrome 39.0.2171.99 with uBlock v 8.5.5

24. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

EDIT: I fixed the problem the game would work with click to play plugins but when I signed it I had to allow all plugins on the site sorry for any inconvenience Okay, I am trying to play this game on Kongregate and it works just if I am not logged in but when I am the game does not load you need an account for the site to save your game.. here is my block rules and my rules for the site:
    * * 1p-script noop
    * * 3p-frame block
    * * 3p-script block
    * * inline-script block
    * addthis.com * block
    * adroll.com * block
    * beap.adx.yahoo.com * block
    * csi.gstatic.com * block
    * doubleclick.net * block
    * facebook.net * block
    * geo.query.yahoo.com * block
    * geo.yahoo.com * block
    * ggpht.com * block
    * google-analytics.com * block
    * googleadservices.com * block
    * googletagmanager.com * block
    * googletagservices.com * block
    * sb.scorecardresearch.com * block
    * scorecardresearch.com * block
    * twitter.com * block
    * www.youtube-nocookie.com * block
    * y.analytics.yahoo.com * block
    * yourformat.in * block
    * youtube-nocookie.com * block
    www.kongregate.com kongcdn.com * noop
    www.kongregate.com kongregate.com * noop
    www.kongregate.com ninjakiwi.com * noop
    www.kongregate.com ninjakiwifiles.com * noop
    and here is the site: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ninjakiwi/sas-zombie-assault-4 I have got all of my sites I use to work perfectly while blocking everything except just what I need and I can not for this site. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.:):thumb:
    Thanks, malwar

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  25. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Problem on the website below:

http://www.costacrociere.it/B2C/I/Pages/default.aspx

test with Firefox + uBlock ver 0.8.5.7

The counter increases indefinitely:

Immagine.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.