µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Summerheat, you and I have disagreed more often than not in the past but I (perhaps this will be hard for you to believe) love your enthusiasm for UBO, and recognize you as a very helpful member whose willingness to help UBO (and Firefox) users here at Wilders is outstanding. If you leave, we all lose. Perhaps take a break (its healthy) for a while, but come back.... :)

Bo

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

@summerheat, Totally agree with the above posters. You're information is always very informative and knowledgeable and the forum will be at huge loss with your leaving, so as the others have stated, take a break but don't leave.:thumb:

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

This really is becoming a pain in my ****! Waiting for my home page to load is like watching paint dry. I guess I will stick with ABP in Firefox on this machine.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Firefox refuses to load at all now while ever uBO is enabled. The second I disable uBO Firefox loads.

Some may say, "try disabling x filter" but as I have said over and over, when uBO is disabled Firefox runs fine. i DOUBT IT IS A SPECIFIC FILTER BECAUSE I USE THE EXACT SAME FILTERS ON MY OTHER MACHINES AND DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Even the filter lists will not update when uBO is enabled.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@gorhill ,

If you are at all interested in finding out why your extension is causing me grief feel free to reply here or shoot me a PM.

Thanks.

6. guest

guest Guest

@Krusty do your other machines has the exact same security softs and setups? If not, you know where to start.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes and no.

This machine (uBO problem machine) has the 'New' Norton 360, which includes a VPN, but isn't currently connected. One machine has Windows Defender + WFC. My third machine, which is seriously underpowered, has Norton Security, which is essentially the same as N360 without the VPN.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

This problem machine = Intel Core i5 @ 2.20GHz, 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1063MHz (According to Speccy).

9. guest

guest Guest

remove (not just disconnect) the VPN then check.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I can see your point. Unfortunately there isn't a separate uninstaller for the VPN so I'll have to uninstall Norton 360.

11. guest

guest Guest

Not a big loss lol
    In Device Manager > network. VPNs usually create an adapter, check if you have one made by Norton.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@Krusty
    you remember that browser console thing i told you about, right? if you just run it and share the screenshot here then we could follow you better.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

:argh:

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Any resolution to this pass by you providing steps for others to reproduce. If others can't reproduce, this narrows the investigation down to something else than uBO specific on your side causing the issue. There has been issues sounding like yours caused by broken profiles or bad `about:config` changes (the warning Firefox gives when accessing `about:config` is an understatement).

First, see what this page reports: https://firefox-storage-test.glitch.me/

What exact version of Firefox, uBO + settings/lists? What exact URL is causing you issue -- this is key so that other can use the exact same scenario which is causing you issue, thus ruling out any lingering doubt that the web page itself is the issue.

ABP differs a lot from uBO, for example ABP does not use indexedDB as far as I know, and does not wait for all filter lists to be loaded in memory at browser launch.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Debug Info:
    {
    "v": 1,
    "curVersion": 68,
    "prevVersion": 68,
    "ls": {},
    "qm": {
    "lastWorkedIn": 68
    },
    "idb": {
    "persistentCreatedIn": 68,
    "persistentLastOpenedIn": 68,
    "clearDetectedIn": 0
    },
    "cache": {
    "firstCacheCreatedIn": 0,
    "unpaddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 0,
    "paddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 0
    }
    }
    I guess that's not good, right? i may need to reset Firefox.
    Firefox 68.0.2
    uBO 1.21.2
    https://www.bing.com/

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

sounds like a corrupted places file. delete your places file and see if it works out alright. also, type "cache" in a:c search bar and reset any modified pref to its default value.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Where do I find this "places" file? Remember, clear instructions will help, mate. What happens when that file is deleted? Will it get recreated?

Thanks.

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It looks like it stores my bookmarks. I can't see why I would need to remove that file and lose my bookmarks.

19. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@Krusty

delete places.sqlite file, reset any modified cache settings under a:c, reset your prefs.js file to its default state (right click on it, click edit, and delete all but "do not edit this file bla bla bla" part, save it.)

type the file names in file explorer search box where it reads "search this pc". and make a backup of each file before you modify them (just copy & paste).

this clear enough?

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

All three of my machines have the exact same report, so @imdb , there's probably no point in deleting the "Places" file.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

22. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

I believe this may have been my advice pages ago. Or, reset µBO settings > Default and start with medium mode & default filters. Afterwards, you can get away with very few lists. These are all you need, or even less with the right selection of compact lists.

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Guys, I see your point but;
    1. All of my machines have the exact same filter lists and even my slowest machine doesn't seem to have this problem This machine has a decent CPU and RAM to spare so shouldn't have an issue, no matter how many filters are in use. It is far faster and more powerful than my slowest machine. I don't have this problem in either Edge or Brave on the same machine with the same lists.
    2. I'm quite happy to use NoScript to control content on sites so aren't interested in uBO Medium Mode.
    Thanks.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It might be worth noting that once Firefox loads I do not have any problem loading any other pages I visit. This bug only affects Firefox loading my home page. Once Firefox is up and running I can load my home page without delay too.

25. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Well then, this narrows the issue quite a lot. So you selected a whole lot of filter lists, and uBO has to wait for all these filter lists to be loaded before allowing web pages to load. You can prevent uBO from holding back web page load at launch by setting "suspendTabsUntilReady" to "no" in Advanced settings page (default is "unset"):

Code:
    suspendTabsUntilReady no
    uBO typically loads fast at launch using pre-parsed filter lists and even better using a "selfie" when it had time to generate one. However if you have an issue with indexedDB storage, this fast load could be prevented. When you go to "Filter lists", are all filter lists marked as "out of date"?

I have to ask: with all the filter lists you selected in uBO, what was the point of saying "I guess I will stick with ABP" when you just can't have the same selection of lists with ABP? ABP can't load hosts lists and filters from these lists amount to almost 100K filters in your selection of lists. If you were willing to have less filters with ABP, might as well un-select all the lists in uBO which are not available in ABP.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.