µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I use simple extension manager because it allows me to easily disable any extension right from the toolbar. It makes for easy A B comparisons of extensions and for globally disabling any extension not just one.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simpleextmanager/kniehgiejgnnpgojkdhhjbgbllnfkfdk

3. AutoCascade

Yeah, using a bookmark is a pretty poor way to do that in comparison to simple extension manager.

The entire list of extensions is right there as opposed to opening a new page and scrolling of course you'd have to try it to see the difference for yourself.

uBlock uses so much less memory and has added features such as 1st or 3rd party script blocking & frame blocking on a per site basis etc that a minor problem you are describing when it can easily be overcome makes this a no brainer versus the other adblockers that I have tried.

Just my two cents everyone has their own needs so maybe this isn't for you.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. When you have Chrome's safe browsing enabled and are using Norton DNS like me, there is really no use in selecting all the malware blocklists, since Google and Norton catches all of them. So uBlock's own filters + easylist + Peter Lowe's + Your countries blocklist is really enough. Makes uBlock lighter without scarifying ad/malware protection.

6. Pilou42

Pilou42 Registered Member

I'd rather use µBlock alone than using Chrome + antivirus (DNS or other tools). It makes it harder to find who is guilty when something's not right. At least, I don't think Google list should cause problems.

7. AutoCascade

Yeah I couldn't figure out heads or tails about setting those filters till Kees made that.

8. gorhill

gorhill Guest

It is technically possible. It is one issue among 63 other issues (as of writing), which as said I am unconvinced it is a big deal for most users. As said, quite atypical use case, of which you chose to not share the details.

9. gorhill

gorhill Guest

You have a URL for a case where disqus is broken with hpHosts? The only related hostname I see in hpHosts is `javdict.disqus.com`, so I would like to investigate which kind of exception filter I need to create to prevent hpHosts from breaking things (issue #17)

10. ArchiveX

For your information,

- AdBlock (from getadblock.com) already includes 'the respective feature'.

- Adguard Adblocker promised to add 'the respective feature'.

Luckily, the above developers did Not find 'the respective feature'
    to be an 'atypical use case'...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  11. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

may i know why do you need to disable and enable it so frequently..
    I am just trying to understand what could be the reason as it may not be the norm for most of the users to disable/enable forday-day browsing..Unless sth is being tested...

And thinking from Raymond's perspective, i tend to agree with him. Unless it is a common and needed thing, it is better not to put more features. just my 2 cents..
    And this thoroughness, what it makes this blocker to be more effecient than others (atleast ABP which i used before)..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  12. ArchiveX

Q
    A
    This is Wilders, and many members, here, TEST software so that Developers improve it.

Hopefully, there are Developers (as I explained above)
    who do Not share this kind of "perspective"...

Developers who constantly enrich their software by
    adding/modifying features upon request/feedback!

End of Story.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  13. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I see, you have very specific needs.

No amount of bitterness and passive-aggressive behavior from you is going to make me want to be used as a developer-for-hire for free for your very specific need.

All ideas are welcome, but they will have to convinced me it's for the benefit of more than one or a handful of users.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  14. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Thanks for the neat software Gorhill - I notice pages tend to load somewhat faster and it blocks more ads than the bigger competitor (for Chrome).

15. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I wish.

Final score: gorhill 10 - ArchiveX 0

16. Pilou42

Pilou42 Registered Member

Let's try: Create a "temporarily disable button" or you'll die in a fire ! :)

It appears I like this functionality with AB+ and Firefox. Why ?
    Sometimes, in a hurry, I can't create rules for a website. In this situation, I prefer to disable blocking, instead of creating a global whitelist which would be ugly, and if I forget to change it later, the site may be whitelisted forever whereas I had planned to create better rules for this webpage.
    Notice that with µMatrix, there are temporarily rules, so it is not needed.

As I don't often create rules with µBlock, I don't need this feature, but I tried to explain why I like this option in Firefox ABP and maybe why ArchiveX liked it too.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Strange, might be something in my end. I just noticed the same thing on techsupportalert.com's Google search.

It just happens sometimes, I have to uncheck some settings (third-party scripts/iframes usually, but sometimes hpHosts) and refresh the page for it to work. I think it started when I began applying dynamic mini filter.

*Now that I've increased complexity of my settings, it would be very convenient having a way to sync that. Pretty please?

18. ArchiveX

Did I ask you for a feature exclusively developed for me? Hell, I did Not!
    You act as if I asked you for 'something' only me and Not for EVERY user.

-You act as if I asked you to develop something very "uncommon".
    For one more time,
    getadblock.com already includes that feature and Adguard AdBlocker will soon add it.
    Obviously, these developers do Not see things the way you do!
    Your school-year bad experiences are of no interest...
    Next time, a user suggests feature "X"
    (especially when this "X" has already been /will soon be adopted by other Developers),
    it would be useful to leave your arrogant attitude aside.:thumbd:
    On the Arrogance-scale...:thumbd:
    :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Let's Focus Only On The Topic and Not Each Other. Handle Your Conversations via PM.

If Public Member Bashing Continues, This Thread Will Be Closed. Its Future Rests in Your Hands!

20. gorhill

gorhill Guest

You are asking for the ability to "disable temporarily for a site", which is rather different than "disable everywhere". If someone file an issue proposing the "ability to disable temporarily for a site", no way I will propose the ability to "disable the extension everywhere" to address the issue.

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

~ Removed Off Topic Remarks ~

P.S. @gorhill , any suggestions for where to learn Javascript? I've used it before, Node.js particularly and a bit of client side jquery crap (horrific, I had to write over someone else's project in a very short time), but I've never written extensions. I'm curious if you know of a good resource for extension development or a fast-paced Javascript book, vidoe, etc.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

As for the syncing settings I proposed, just noticed you can backup and restore from a file. That does make it easier, but since it already can do that, syncing should be possible.

Would be a refreshing convenience if not too much trouble. Any thoughts?

23. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

One question (don't know if it has been answered already):

If I use µBlock with µMatrix, does option "Enable experimental features" improve my security/privacy? Does µMatrix take care of all those requests or should I have this option enabled?

24. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Yes, It will still increase your privacy, even uMatrix is installed. As this would reduce the connections to CDN Servers (Content Delivery Networks)
    more information on this here..https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Experimental-features

25. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

OK, thanks. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.