µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I like being able to either noop all 3rd party scripts, then additionally frames, or test / try individual 'entries' first, for a site - then optionally 'lock' these (for future) for that site.

It is simple to manage and intuitive for me.

2. guest

guest Guest

Looks like it has some features of NoScript/Scriptsafe.

3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Well, your first argument is subjective, and if it comes to adblocking capacities: Both uBO and Adguard can use the same filterlists, and Adguard AFAIK supports the uBO-specific extensions of the ABP filter syntax (and vice versa). What makes uBO superior is in particular:

1. Dynamic Filtering which allows for global and domain-specific rules. Examples what it can do can be found here and here. Here's an overview of its network filtering engine (details).
    2. its excellent logger which lets you easily create very detailed static and dynamic filters.
    3. many settings (like disabling javascript by default) and related per-site switches.

All this is not available in other products.

Neither has uBO for me.

4. summerheat

Well, but again, this suggests that specific filers/filterlists cause this problem. That's why I asked if you tried disabling one after the other to find the culprit.

5. paulderdash

It is of course, the dynamic filtering - in medium mode - that I was so clumsily trying to describe ... :D

@guest Try it, I think you'll like it.

6. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

So you never tried uBlock Origin before? After reading your recents posts I got that impression, uBlock Origin isnt just an adblocker, it is a wide-spectrum blocker.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

7. guest

guest Guest

One thing I like in Adguard is being system wide.

8. guest

guest Guest

Used it (on FF Linux) , doesn't impress me so much compared to Adguard desktop, it is why i ask questions to know what really motivate people with it.

9. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

To have a fair comparison you have to compare ublock vs adguard (browser extension). On my freshly installed laptop I installed the adguard browser version and while visiting my usual sites I saw that it didn't block the amount I was used to (like from the adguard desktop version running on my main pc).
    As a browser version for me both ublock and adguard did ok.
    Also not all people are willing to pay for an "adblocker".

10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i prefer to use ubo for cosmetic filtering only and let umatrix deal with the rest.

12. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I can't find any easy or medium mode setting in UBO.

13. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

14. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

You won't find such a setting but instead check the box "I am an advanced user" after reading the wiki and watching The Hated One's video, which gorhill himself recommends. The link is on the wiki. With a bit of trial and error, you'll be a pro in no time. Easier than µMatrix for me with enough granularity. You can make it a firewall for your browser. Also see here: https://malwaretips.com/threads/ubl...-user-tips-questions-and-issues-thread.92247/

15. summerheat

Not meant as nitpicking but on behalf of a more precise terminology: I'm pretty sure that you're using uBO not only for cosmetic filtering but rather for static filtering. uMatrix works on the DNS- or domain-level. The ABP filter syntax used by uBO (+ its own enhancements) can block things which can not be blocked by uMatrix. This includes cosmetic filtering (aka Element Hiding) but is by far not restricted to it.

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

nope. i use it for cosmetic filtering (element picker mainly) without static filters.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Maybe you can concentrate your efforts in helping someone else.

Thanks.

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

FWIW, disabling Norton Safe Web extension allows Firefox to open much quicker. I can't completely let uBO off the hook because when the page isn't loading disabling uBO and that page loads immediately. That does not happen if I disable the Norton Safe Web extension while the page is trying to load.

This suggests to me that there could be some conflict between the two extensions.

19. summerheat

Hm, this surprises me. This means that you do not have any filterlists enabled?

I'm asking this as without static filters (usually from the filterlists) you wouldn't be able to block a script like

with the static filter (from EasyList)

Code:
    /ad/zeus/*
    or a script like

with the static filter(from EasyList as well)

Code:
    /advertising/*$script,domain=~advertising.org.il|~commercialplanet.eu|~kloterfarms.com|~temple.edu|~themarker.com
    unless you block all scripts for that domain in uMatrix (which would probably render it unusable). Cosmetic filtering in uBO would not help here as it would not block that script (unless you create a corresponding static filter with the element picker but you're not doing that).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something ...

20. summerheat

No worries, mate, I'm going to leave this forum anyway.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

no, i do have some filterlists enabled. it's just that i don't rely on them for blocking elements/things globally. i use ubo for cosmetic filtering and umtx for dealing with websites globally. blocking ads is not a priority for me.

22. summerheat

So you are using static filtering. I think we are talking at cross purposes ;)

23. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yeah, that about sums it up. :thumb:

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Leave the forum? Maybe take a break if you need but leaving is kinda a little overboard.

25. paulderdash

Yeah @summerheat, I do implore you to stay as I have found your inputs, as a genuine expert here, most useful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.