µBlock, a lean and fast blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorhill, Jun 23, 2014.

1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi @puff-m-d ,

Yeah, I see that - please see my edit.

The new icon is less obvious to me what it does. Strange change in my opinion. :rolleyes:

3. puff-m-d

Hello @Krusty,

Ooops :oops: , you must have been editing while I was posting :doubt: ...
    My understanding is that gorhill was getting too many issues opened about the gear on the title bar so he moved it hoping to end the issue reports.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Must say I was also confused because the title bar was no longer 'interactive', but I see now where the settings button has been moved to (below the blue disable icon).

5. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I was just about to ask the same question after updating the addon today to find the title bar DOA. I always used the title bar which I found quite convenient.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i'm with @gorhill on this one.it was obtrusive.

7. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks.

tl:dr? What's the rating for uBlock Origin?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

It was rated second-best after Ghostery in which the testers manually activated blocking of third-party categories. However, the other blockers were tested with their default settings. For uBlock Origin this means EasyList, Peter Lowe's Adservers, EasyPrivacy and Malware domains. Needless to say that many more lists are available in uB0 which can be easily activated and would result in much more stuff blocked. Moreover, that report doesn't mention uB0's Dynamic Filtering at all which would block even more depending on which blocking mode is used.

The report also mentions that AdBlock Plus "was responsible for a significant memory overhead" which was much higher than uB0's (which confirms gorhill's findings). Note also that only blocking of trackers was studied in that report and not adblocking in general.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

11. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I quickly read certain passages of the paper (I plan to read fully once I get the time), quick comments for now:

- uBO used to have Fanboy Social enabled by default, but this was causing too much web site breakage and also complains from users who did not expect the social widgets from being disappeared by default, so I removed it from default lists as a result. However I will often encourage people to use dynamic filtering to blacklist such ubiquitous 3rd-parties such as Facebook, Twitter, Disqus, Gravatar, etc. It's event better than a filter list for whoever is willing to learn how to use the dynamic filtering pane because these can be easily toggled on on a per-site basis through simple point-and-click.

- The paper says "none of the extensions resulted in less memory being used": unfortunately, those 30 URLs used for the test are not available. I will assume these were 30 top sites URLs, likely laden with ads/trackers. If so, i can guarantee you that your browser's memory footprint will be markedly less with uBO as a result of blocking all the ads/trackers. I suspect there is a flaw in their methodology, however I can't even try to reproduce because the tool they used is not public. There are many way to explain how they could arrive at that conclusion: did their measurement include non-garbage collected memory? Were the filter lists all up to date so as to avoid auto-update kicking in during benchmark (and thus causing a spike in memory usage during benchmark)?

If only the 30 URLs were available, I would be able to demonstrate that their conclusion is erroneous here, because I could at least benchmark manually.

12. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Just started using this. I can't find the update tab. My version is uBlock Origin v1.12.4

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@gorhill

Thanks for your input.
    Off-topic: could you incorporate a notification mechanism for every single update? I don't want to use an extra extension for that sole purpose.

14. paulderdash

I have a few custom filters (like Stephen Black's fake news hosts), and they all have a red 'x' next to them ... what does that mean?

15. puff-m-d

Hello @paulderdash,

The X deletes that particular filter list.

16. paulderdash

Thanks @puff-m-d. You did make me laugh because I guess it is so obvious!

17. puff-m-d

18. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I am still trying to figure out how to update this program.

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

It's an extension which works within browsers. At least in Chrome, don't know on other browsers, there's a tab or access to installed extensions, under More Tools. From there, you can update it manually by enabling by ticking Developer Mode checkbox. Then a new button is displayed: "Update extensions".

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only this tab AFAIK.

21. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

From medium mode info, I saw those highlighted 3rd-party filters already set out-of-the-box, are they correct?

Looks same for medium mode config.
    3rd party.png

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I know it is not an ad. Yet I want to block it with uBlock Origin because it can according to its own definition:
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

;)

23. anon

anon Registered Member

uBlock's popup UI > Dashboard > 3rd party filters > Update now

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  24. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

To visualize this webpage, for example, I need to set a noop(s) to regain acceptable and temporary webpage functionality when Dynamic Filtering is disabled but the static filters from the filter lists are still applied.

noop.png

However, how can I set noops, all at once, in lieu of clicking one by one?

25. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Have you tried setting a local noop rule for the 3rd-party script cell?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.