Two Zonealarm questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by geepondy, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

Ok, I'm in day three of my zonealarm trial and I am pretty happy thus far but have ran into my first problem. When attempting to update the anti-spyware definitions, after trying for a few minutes I get a message saying "The anti-spyware update is not responding". Any ideas why? I don't have any other firewall programs running.

Also are there cheaper places to buy Zone Alarm Pro then the web site? I think $50 is a little steep and despite the suite packages being lower priced after rebates, I'm not interested.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Try something.

Go to overview and click the 'Preferences' tab; now untick the box for 'Load ZAP at startup'. Then reboot. At this point ZA will not be active in your sys tray so manually restart it. Finally, try and update your Spyware definitions.

Does it update now?

If it does then I'm afraid you will have to go through that procedure each time!

There is a known bug that affects some systems, Zonelabs have been working on it.

3. geepondy

Thanks for the reply. I researched and saw the same information on the ZA forums. I tried it and no, it made no difference. Probably not a deal stopper but I think a blatant enough issue so that it would have been fixed by now. The posts on the ZA forum describing the same problem and fix were dated back in August.

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Firstly what version of ZA are you using. The latest version is 6.1.737.000 which should fix most of the update problems in the previous 6.0 versions.

Secondly, if you are using ZA 6.1.737.000 and on a dial-up service that has an "Internet/Dialup Accelerator" software that supposedly speeds up your surfing (such as NetZero 3G, propel etc.), try disabling the software first before doing a manual update. These softwares are known to intefere with ZoneAlarm's antispyware update.

5. geepondy

I am using the version (still trialware) you described, ZA 6.1.737.000 on a DSL connection. The only other security programs I am running are NOD32 and Webroot Spysweepter. I disabled Spysweeper but it did not fix the problem.

6. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

You might want to check your Internet Connection settings that you are not using a proxy too.

If that does not solve the problem, you should contact Zone labs Tech Support. There are a few people who still have some problems and it will help Zone Labs to troubleshoot where the problem lies:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/techSupport.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=ts_home

7. geepondy

Thanks again for the info. I tried the ZA live support last night but nothing happened meaning it put me right back to the original screen.

I definitely want to ge this fixed. I ran a spyware scan with ZA last night and it found a program called Market Score which in their words "Market Score is an application that claims to increase the speed of your internet connection. It runs at startup to ensure that all your internet connections are routed thru Market Score Proxies."

Anybody heard of this? Both Spysweeper and the MS freebie missed this. It sounds like scary stuff particularly as I do a ton of online transactions and the detailed Market Score analysis, says this application will log and analyze every web connection you make, even to secure sites. It makes me feel like refomatting the hard drive. I certainly never intentionally installed that program.

8. TopperID

Spysweeper and MS-AS are both excellent progs, so I wouldn't feel inclined to reformat just because ZAP says it finds something!

Much better to look at the file path of the 'suspect' item and investigate its properties - it might be a false alarm.

ZA anti-spyware is very much a new thing so I personally would not place much reliance on it until it has matured and proven itself a bit more.

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is it in fact installed and running on your system?

Regards,

CrazyM

10. geepondy

Well I let zone alarm delete it right away but I'm not sure. However from perviously doing control alt delete and looking at processes, I never saw anything suspecious unless it hid itself as one of the system files that I took for granted was a windows app. From the ZA log viewer and choosing anti-spyware, I can't find the originating folder of the file, is there a way to find out?

11. geepondy

12. TopperID

Go to the Anti-spyware section and look in the Quarantine tab - you should be able to get the details there.
    I'm not sure of the answer, but I think it is the difference between allowing use of a proxy server on a LAN and not allowing it - '0' being the latter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.