Two tries always needed for full restore.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by APBIDDLE, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APBIDDLE

APBIDDLE Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop using Vista SP1. Backup is TI 11 to an external USB HD. I have three times needed to do a full image restore of the HD. Each time, everything worked normally through the reboot to the Acronis Loader and then up to the point where you get the Progress Window with the two progress bars. At that point, nothing happened for about 5 minutes, and the computer then rebooted back to Windows. The second time I repeated the process, it worked correctly. Of course I can boot to the recovery CD, but it would be nice to get this working. I have an HP XP machine, and in many restores over the years, I have never seen this problem.

Any ideas whether this is a Dell issue, a Vista issue, or o_O

Alan

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When restoring a system drive, it is best done when booted from the TI Rescue CD. Trying to restore your system drive from within Windows is unpredictable at best.

The Rescue CD can be your best friend in times of backups and restores.
    Do some backups when booted from the CD and then do some restores using the CD.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you using build 8053 of TI 11?

If this is reproducible (requiring starting the restore twice for it work), it's a real weirdo. It could be a Dell thing, but I'd guess it's Vista not liking being rebooted.

Personally, if I had this problem, I'd do my restores from the CD until a new build of TI newer than 8053 is available.

4. APBIDDLE

John,

I am indeed using 8053. As to being reproducible, it has happened 3 out of 3 times. In 3+ years of using various version of TI with WinXP I have never had the slightest problem doing a full image restore, which is what makes this so odd. Next time I will just go for the recovery CD, as it is ultimately quicker and almost certainly safer. It has been nearly a year since the last full restore, and I guess senility is setting in, because I forgot about this bug/feature. ;)

Alan

5. jmk94903

Only three out of three times? Well, then it could just be operator error.

I'm joking, I'm joking! You've got me convinced it's a glitch.
    Odd things happen more often with Vista. It is a significant change from XP.

If I wanted to pursue this, I'd turn off UNC and then try the restore. Here's a link to how to do that:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...nt-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/
    That's the easiest solution.

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

John:

UNC, UAC, ... what's in a name? You've been doing too much networking lately ;)

Actually, the UAC mechanism is only active when Windows is running, which is not the case when rebooting into the Acronis recovery environment whether the reboot is initiated from within Windows or from F11 or from the boot CD, so I doubt this has anything to do with anything.

I think Vista changed the point in the boot process where helper applications gain control of the system during a reboot, so I suspect this is related to the issue at hand. Examples are boot-time defrags with PerfectDisk, or running a boot-time chkdsk. I know Raxco had to do a few iterations to get their boot-time process working properly in PerfectDisk.

I think it better to always restore a Vista image when Vista is completely shut down, in other words, from the boot disk.

7. jmk94903

What's really bad is that I spotted that typo/error and thought I had corrected it. Now, when you see your mistake and make a mistake in correcting the mistake, that's bad.
    I was wondering whether Vista was aware of the reboot and UAC was somehow trying to prevent the reboot.
    That makes more sense. Of course, we haven't seem any iterations lately from Acronis on TI.
    I agree.

8. APBIDDLE

John.

>>Odd things happen more often with Vista. It is a significant change from XP.

Really, I hadn't noticed. NOW _I_ AM KIDDING!!!!!!

I turned the UAC off sometime back. No help. Well, this will probably get fixed with Windows 7, which will be perfect.

Alan

9. jmk94903

Thank you for that information about Windows 7. It's a great relief to know that my annoyances with Vista will vanish shortly with the new version.

I will sleep better tonight. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.