two defragmenters

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Red Moon, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello forum .
    Is it possible to use two different defragmenting tools on my computer?
    Obviously i wouldnt use them at the same time but just at different periods.
    Is this harmful in any way or should i just stick with one product.

thanks.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Just stick with one product (if possible the win7 build-in defragmenter)
    My personel advise :)

3. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

No, they most probably will overdo it by changing out they whole layout of the other.
    Edit: It's ofcourse possible, but very ineffective.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Although it is technically possible to have two, I would have one defrag software installed at any one time.

5. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

I try in the past Auslogic, Win7 Defrag & Puran using it
    Is tecnically possible have installed on at the same time but is a terrible choice, because they use different defragmentation algorithm, so if I perform a perfect 100% defragmented hd with Puran and start Auslogic or 7Defrag they found my HD very fragmented and use their own algorithm to solve, and after this if I start Puran again it found my HD fragmented and so on
    Conclusion: try all and choose the best defrag program for your needs and use it as the dedicated defrag, uninstall others and deactivate the built in defrag (If you don't choose it)
    I use Puran because is complete with most features and it works great so I deactivate win7 defrag due to the fact I tell you before
    Auslogic is faster but not so great, it prefere been faster and don't defrag some files
    Win7 built in make a decent job but is slower

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I currently have 4 installed but obviously only one is monitoring full time (perfectdisk).It doesnt really matter how many you install as long as they are not all running at the same time (including windows inbuilt one).If you are going to install one to try them, make sure you turn off any auto monitoring before you defrag with a different one.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hmmm...my personal experiments - 17 defrag apps at the same time in one system :) ...but of course only one worked in one time.

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

You guys are nuts xD

9. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I would run them both at the same time and see which one wins. :ninja:

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Better yet to run those 17 mentioned by ichito at the same time and see which one wins :D

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Oh noooo...please...I'm not the idiot...all apps was only together becouse of one thing - I wanted to try and chose "that only one" that could be the best for me :D

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Please don't get me wrong. I was not aiming at you. It was just a joke.

On topic, I once ran Auslogics' "defrag & optimize". It was all nice and clean. I then did "analyze" with Puran and it was all reds.

13. ellison64

There are multiple defrag options and alogrithms within just one defragmenting programe to choose from and each sorts the filing out differently ,so im not sure why some folks would worry about having more than one defragger.Of course only one must be auto at any time ,but theres nothing wrong with having multiple defraggers.I did the same as ichito and tested them.For what its worth defragexpress and perfect disk works best for me,although they are paid for and seem to have similar alogirithms as they always seem to agree with each concerning the state of the disk.Auslogics has too many options and too much desicion making for my liking,although again that one usually agrees (after analysis of disk) with perfectdisk and defrag express.Puran doesnt seem to agree with anything after analysis,although i do use it on desktop pc ,and tend to use it of friends pcs that need a tuneup.

14. gerardwil

Why is that?

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Seer...I know that ;)
    I totaly agree with elison64
    Defragmenters are for me just a kind of software like others apps...maybe except security apps that working in real-time...like graphic viewers, media players, cleaners, video converters, and many, many others that we have on our systems to work and rest.
    Is not hard to have two, three, four or much more such apps...right? We can compare its features and effects and then chose 1 or 2 for daily using.

16. ellison64

I guess if they were auto defragging at the same time with two or more defraggers ,the little squares wouldnt know whether to go to the left or the right or what colour to be? :p

17. gerardwil

That is not what I meant. If you have 1(one) defragger, why should you have that on auto?

18. ellison64

You dont have to have it on auto,thats a user choice and whether the defragger has that function.But if you do have two defraggers that have auto defrag function ,then it would be pretty stupid two have both running on auto defrag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.