Two AV Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

have NOD32 v2 running and KAV Lite 40.71 for a backup scanner.The KAV monitor does not load when I boot up. Now my question. Can the KAV monitor still affect programs even though it isn't running? I am having some minor problems with some programs hanging even if I disable NOD's AMON.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Difficult to answer, William, as it maybe the combination of some of your programs on your computer which are causing the conflict. You have a UNIQUE system.

Does Kav still load any processes in Task manager when not running?

I know some people who have posted here that have no problems with KAV and NOD, but whether they use your combination I do not know.

Some RTM's are more sensitive than others to other installed software. For example I have found that the running Monitor of Dr Web is hypersensitive to any other AV programs installed on one of MY computers.

Since the exclude of AMON does not work for you, have you tried uninstalling KAV, then seeing the effect then?

Although using 2 AV's may be considered part of a layered defence system, I have decided to only install ONE AV on each of my computers here. My layered defence then includes an AT program or/and a regular scan with an on-line AV scanner e.g. Panda, Trend or Kaspersky.

3. root

root Registered Member

With KAV not loading at boot it is very unlikely.
    Can you give a little better idea of what is hanging when? Difficult to figure out what might be going on without some specific information.
    Also, have you checked your running processes to make sure there is nothing of KAV being loaded at boot?

4. WilliamP

Kaspersky doesn't load on start up. I have Start Man and KAV is set to not load at start up. How do I check Task Manager.

5. WilliamP

Root ,Spybot S&D when I check for updates it doesn't want to close. Also I have a CMS ABS external hard drive and do a weekly back up. It has gotten real slow. Recently when I do a defrag. it has locked up just before finishing.

6. WilliamP

Checked Task Manager and couldn't see anything listed.

7. root

root Registered Member

Well, those problems don't really indicate a problem with an AV program to me. Stranger things have happened though.
    Have you tried doing any of those things and shutting down everything in the system tray first? It might help to find out if anything that is loaded into memory was causing the problem. If you have an always on connection to the net, you could break that connection before you disable all your protection.
    When I get strange things happening, the first thing I try to do is remember if I made any change at the time the problem started. If I did, I undo the change and see if the problem remains.
    Wish I could give you better advice, but you seem to have a strange mix of stuff going on. Possible it's memory related.

8. WilliamP

The problem with the drive may not be related to the others. I had been told that even after disabling AMON it can slow things down. I know that if I disable it ,I can check for updates on Spybot and close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.