Two Acronis Devices?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dag, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dag

Dag Registered Member

I've upgraded from TI 8 to TI 11 Home on my XP machine. I did this without uninstalling the old version first, which was probably a bad idea. Although TI 11 works fine as far as I can tell, device manager now shows two instances of "Acronis TrueImage backup archive explorer" and I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that. The "driver" tab shows one device dated 13.03.2002 and one dated 15.11.2005. My question is: can/should I delete the older device, or is it needed for compatibility with TI 8 image files or something like that?

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Just delete the older device. You should be fine. Afterwards, make sure image mounting still works.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, if you install over a prior versions, directories, registry entries, device driver from previous version are left behind although generally not needed.

If you delete any of the stuff you suspect to be from the old version, then after you're done, rerun the ATI 11 installer and it will give you an option to repair. Run that and it should ensure that ATI11 have all the reg entries, drivers and files it needs.

4. Dag

Dag Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. It's a minor niggle, but in my experience a tidy computer is a healthy computer :)

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I've found, after uninstalling 11, which was installed on a cleaned and scrubbed PC, roughly 400 Acronis/ture image keys were left behind. I tried this on several diff PCs with the same results.

The Docs and setting\all users\application settings\Acronis directory was left behind in each case.

The \Program files\common files\Acronis directory was left behind in all cases

the \Program files\Acronis directory was left behind in only some cases.

so, if you really want a clean install, you need to scrub after uninstalling. Which is not to say that you can't install over a prior version, jstu that there's lots of software detritrus left behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.