Twister av - 64bit soon?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBone

DBone Registered Member

New to the thread, what country is Twister from?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

China If I remember correctly.

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Thanks for the info. The lifetime license has me intrigued.

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I've been playing around with the settings, trying to find what component causes the CPU spikes. Twssrv.exe is a killer. Idles between 1.5%-4%, and if I open a program, it spikes to 20-30%. This is on a Q6600 quadcore. Not a fast machine, but plenty of horsepower for most tasks. They really need to fix this asap!

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yikes, that has me less intrigued!

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I started a scan. I'll see if things are improved after the program is more familiar with my machine. I was going to do a full scan, but after noticing that a quick scan is going to take about 30min, I'll try that first.

Strangely, it seems to use less CPU while scanning, versus when it is sitting idle. I don't understand it.

Edit: never mind, it opens a third process while doing manual scans.

Edit2: quick scan initially said it was going to take 40min, but ended up taking 10min. Not too bad.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ROFLMAO. That was really funny.:argh:

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

@ Clocks,

Have you heard anything from your sent email?

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Regarding the key? I got it.

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

oh i thought you sent an email to support about the CPU issue.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Basically the said the program uses less CPU the longer its on you system. I did notice after doing the quick scan, the program idles near zero, where prior it used about 1.5-4 meg at idle. So they was some improvement there, but the program still spikes up when opening a program, webpage, etc...

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im not so sure after the initial scan whether the spikes are that much different to other avs (and there does seem to be a lot of background scanning going on via registry defence).I think it was mentioned about mouse lag earlier and i do experience that occasionally ,probably because of said background scanning or updater.I wish filseclab would produce up to date help file (current one is from 2005o_O ) so that informed desicon can be made whether to lower such protections ,vs performance.

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Gunna give Twister a try for while and see if it will indeed tone down the cpu issues like they say it will.

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Let us know your thoughts. For the most part, I think this is a really cool AV program. Hard to believe, but for me it appears to use less ram than even WSA. If they could tame the CPU a bit, it would be a real winner.

15. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yes, RAM usage follows the tradition of v7. But not the same goes for CPU, as you pointed out. If they manage to bring the CPU back down, i will install it again, for old times sake. Besides i haven't tested it against real malware and i would have a motive to do so. Shadow Defender is feeling lazy lately. :D

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Any findings?

I like this program a lot, with the exception of false positives and heavy cpu usage. I wonder if there's a particular feature that can be lowered or disabled to get the cpu usage more inline with the lighter version 7? I have tried experimenting turning different things off, but have not found whats driving the heavy cpu use yet.

17. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

well so far after days, I really havnt had any FP at all. Im using the Cloud Security part also. The cpu spikes seem to calm down now. my web browser IE seems more responsive even when watching videos now. after first it sucked lol.

18. Fuzzfas

A few days ago, i emailed Mr. Chu for the CPU spikes. I just got his reply (allow for some english errors that may affect the meaning, but it's clear enough):

So, basically, they 're not sure if this is caused by the resident scanner or the behaviour blocker.

I will install it over Shadow Defender again, but please try this with your own installations to see what happens to you. This way we can make a more reliable report.

19. Fuzzfas

Ok, installed and in my case it is very clear that the spikes are caused by the real time scanner. With only Defense Wall active the spike was to 1% of CPU. I mailed back Mr. Chu...

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I'd agree disabling the AV module significantly lowers the cpu use. I also noticed after reboot, the AV module automatically gets re-enabled.

I'll have to test the program with the AV module disabled, to see how it performs with only the Defense Wall part.

21. Fuzzfas

Well, disabling permanty the realtime shield, can't be an acceptable solution on permanent basis. The important is that they know that this is cause by the realtime shield and so hopefully they can fix this.

22. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I have two lifetime licenses for Twister and have not installed it yet, but for those of you that have installed it, have you run into any compatibility problems with other security software like sandboxie, or appguard. I have several months left on my current av, and since it is running so smooth I don't want to bork it up. ;) Thanks for any input.

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

FWIW I tried testing Twister, with the AV disabled, and only the Defense Wall active. Much to my surprise, it was flawless. It caught everything. It goes to show the effectiveness of the auxiliary protection in the program (cloud, behavior blocker, etc..)

Now I'm not saying that I would recommend the average user run it with the av disabled. And they really do need to fix the cpu issue. Still, I'm impressed with it. I plan to run it alongside WSA or Kingsoft anyway.

24. Fuzzfas

Interesting and glad to hear it. Twister in v7 too, had a behaviour blocker module, called FDD i think, which was pretty good. They had promiced that in this release they would pump it up and seems they did.

25. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

when you trust a file does Twister report back so the file can be checked and added as not a FP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.