Twister Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildvirus88, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yep,it is a generous trial and If it is any good and competes with the competition.Then the lifetime license should be the best value,that is if it survives.

2. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Twister is one of the lightest Antivirus I´ve tried.
    Detection rate seems to be good, as it detected some samples that i gathered, which some other popular antivirus don´t detect them. It has also souspicious behaviour blocker, that seems to do his job well.
    really, i am very impressed with this "new" coming.:thumb:

Attached Files:

3. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Self defense?

Disinfection/curing success rate?

Packer support?

Not a good bet if it has got only limited support for those three things at least.

4. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

Just did some research, because i did not know the product before,
    i have only read positives results, and am running it right now on a test system.
    The strange thing is, if it exists that long (more then 9 years) why can't i find any (professional) tests or reviews. (virusBTN / av-comparatives etc)

For the record, i don't have an opinion about this AV yet, i am still testing it.
    But i am already convinced this is not a rogue anti malware.
    The company behind the product, is a familiar company for me for a very long time, i just lost sight of them.

The update frequency seems to be very good.

When is the guy responding that is running this product for 9 years
    so we can hear some more of it?
    :)

5. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I knew the AV yesterday... Never heared about it before... and I'm liking it and I'm seeing a very good detection that is what I want more in an AV.
    About 6-10 updates daily...
    I'll keep trying it and feedbacking (the verb exists?) ;)

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Saraceno answered that in that quoted post:

I am far from being an expert on the Chinese government mentality, but it looks like since they were using this AV program maybe they wanted it kept secret to keep hackers from finding flaws with it or something. That is why it may have been unknown until now.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

looks decent.. i may have to give it a try just to see ... though im sure ill stay with kis.. i just like trying new things

8. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

i have install that.is very light and the detection is very good.clean everything.

looks decent.

9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The program could be good for those with older or slower setups. That's some low resource usage there.

Thanks for the updates with the product, I might just have to try it now. How's the scan speed?

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have installed this program erlier today, seems intresting.

I ran a full scan took about 10 mins on 40GB of data, and it seems to pick up a few false possitives, so others who use this program be carefull of this.

It has a handy backup area tho so you can get back your deleted files if needed.

Its very light on the system and has alot of fetures, dont confuse the fetures as bloat because they realy are not they are just simple extras,

All in all so far seems intresting, has alright detection so far as i am seeing, and
    i will test it more over the next few days to see how it works.

ty

11. Saraceno

I've been giving it a run and so far, it seems quite good.

Some pros and cons I found (and a couple of screenshots).

Pros:
    ++ Tried terminating the program with a-squared hijackfree. Terminates most AVs but fails to terminate this one.
    ++ It's 'behavioural anylsis' picked up a program from the laptop manufacturer, giving me the option to allow or block the process. This laptop process seems to just 'chew up resources', fails to connect everytime and many recommend removing it, so I was surprised it picked this up
    ++ Identified and cleaned javascript malware that I retrieved from a known site that another program I use also identified
    ++ Gives a warning when an advanced option is enabled, and advises that it 'might lead to more warnings and false positives'
    ++ Contains a process monitor to view all processes running

Cons:
    -- Can't view the user interface while performing a full scan, only the scan panel is accessible
    -- Doesn't seem to give percentage of scan completed
    -- Some registry settings/tweaks, although not accessible in the main GUI, could cause a new user to screw something up

Attached Files:

12. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Other positive aspects:

-Very good time response to add signatures... About 3-5 hours...

-Support answers questions in less than 24 hours...

Other AV companies need to wake up and give more attention to consumers...

13. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

i agree with you,some company's don't care about costumer's

14. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

what I do not understand from website and help file:
    "The advanced harmful-websites detection technology can block most web-viruses and script-viruses."

There are no options for any kind of web av and if you got to eicar.org, eicar.com is blocked from your hard disc, not from their site.

TAV.png

So how can this AV block web-viruses when everything I can see are blocked "disc-viruses"?
    Or have I missed something?

Cheers

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

This is enough for me.

Thanks, but no thanks.

16. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

my first impressions:

- Detection rate on demand seems to be ok, but I had a few FP.
    Strangewise it needed really a lot of time to scan the cab files of Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer. Very strange.

- packer support: I tested a trojan and three packed versions of it.
    Twister Antivirus (TAV) detected the trojan and one packed version.

TAVpacker1.png

After setting "Detect packed files" it detected one more packed version, but this setting leaded to an annoying quantity of FP. Unusable.

- the Filseclab Dynamic Defense System (FDD System)
    I took an undetected packed version of the trojan and started it.
    FDD System detected and blocked it. Very good.

TAVupack1.png

- the Registry Protector
    i did just a quick test with TrojanSimulator, TAV detected the attempt to create a run key in registry. Also very good.

TAVreg.png

- TAV also detected the adware after launching an installer with Onestep und AdVantage nasties, flawlessly.

TAVadware.png

TAV offers an impressing concept, AV + behavior blocker(?) + registry protection and it runs very light.
    But there are also some weak spots like FP, especially with "Detect packed files", endless scanning of archives (cab files) and of course missing modules like Web AV or Mail AV.

All in all it leaves behind some mixed feelings at first view.

Cheers

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Just finished my 45 min. trial of Twister which is now long gone from my computer.
    Installed very nicely, went thru all the options etc.
    The problems started when I did a scan.
    The first time, half way thru, I got the BSOD.
    Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error it said.
    Restarted and had to go thru the CHKDSK scan.
    I did notice during the scan, the Kernal Page file was hitting 100,000.
    I never saw it go that high before.
    So I tried again after turning off some other running programs.
    This time the scan completed, but it crashed again upon completion.
    That was it. Restored using a snapshot I took before trying this.
    I'd be curious if any others had this problem or if Twister just doesn't agree with my computer. :cool:

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Those "missing modules" are like wind spoilers on a Yugo -- needless. As regards antivirus programs that include these bloatware appurtenances, they are marketing ploys, NOT truly useful features.

19. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

This "Filseclab Dynamic Defense" that is being discussed. I know it's part of the AV, as I seen it advertised each time I dLo'ed Filseclab-FW. The FW had the ability to block known malware in it's default-ruleset, so I'm wondering if it is somehow included in Twister's defense-systemo_O Filseclab was probably the 2nd lightest firewall that I've used but it was an "unfinished project".

20. Saraceno

Subset, those results are impressive considering it's an unknown program. You'd expect those results from other programs that are already known.

I'm assuming a program like this should only get better if it had more support. We've already seen how some programs with a ton of support keep churning out junk customer support. You might as well tie your message to a pigeon and wait for a reply.

Did you find the default settings were sufficient for most users, or was there any additional settings you recommended?

Overall, it's a good find considering it's virtually an unknown and unheard-of program.

Danny9, I've had the BSOD before while running a few anti-spyware programs. SAS is the only one that doesn't give it. But that was while I was running with the previous AV. I think it's the roll of the dice whether it shows its face, depends on a range of factors.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I got BSODs too!

22. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

To Saraceno and Aigle,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Going now to let their tech support know about this problem.
    Will let you know if I receive an answer. :cool:

23. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I've compiled a bunch of diverse malware that I use to check the AV that I'm consider using. Thanks to friends and various malware trading sites there is a total of ~87,000 files in the collection. After reading this topic I gave Twister a try and was very surprised by the results.

Although I was expecting lukewarm results at best, for these samples Twister's on-demand detection was on the par with Avira (which so far was in first place). Very impressive for an AV that I didn't even know existed. I especially like that the detection of packers can be disabled since this seems to be the biggest cause of FP's (at least for A's like Avira and Sophos).

I now hope that a buzz develops and professional testers give it a try. So far it seems to me very acceptable.

24. subset

subset Registered Member

For AV and FDD System the default options seem to be ok.
    If you want to change a few settings, Twister warns you seriously and with good reason... :ninja:

But the Registry Protector seems not to be enabled by default.
    If you like to catch autorun changes like with TrojanSimulator, you will have to enabled these options:

TAVoptions.png

And I added some vital files of my other security software, OA and Returnil, to the Trust Editor to prevent conflicts with FDD System:

TAVtrust.png

I agree pretty much, but this leads to a question:
    Why should I pay for Twister if I can have something similar like Avira Personal and ThreatFire for free?

And there are other weak spot as well.
    - I didn't find any support forum for Twister.
    - the help file is as outdated and incomplete as the OA help :ouch:

Cheers

25. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Wow! Someone should suggest this thing to Av-Comparatives! Looks promising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.