Twister-AntiTrojenVirus Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Taliscicero, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Wouldn't be there an beta testing?

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Who knows... I 've read nothing about beta testing in the chinese forum... Let's hope it will come out stable enough, otherwise, i guess we will be ALL beta testers, like it or not. :ninja: :D

3. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

LOL.
    You first.
    Maybe "ftfans" have some more inside info?

4. Fuzzfas

Ftfans seems too busy to post here lately. That's why i am visiting the chinese forum from time to time. If i see anything new, i will post it.

And for the history, this is what happens when you change hardware. Twister asks you to deregister the "old" machine. And for the joy of privacy, it logs the machine configuration, user name and computer name.

http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12854498.png

You 've got to love online activations... And people worry about being identified from a browser serial number which is much more anonymous than this...

Twister and Winpatrol for me. No more online activations.

5. Fuzzfas

It seems there is a program update? I have v. 7.3.2.9971.

It asked me to reboot. Unless it was something wrong with my yesterday's reinstallation of WinXp that didn't allow Twister to update properly...

I can't find any news about program update in filseclab.com...

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Probably just a broken update.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Me, too. No worry brah. :)

8. Fuzzfas

Probably something went wrong after i reinstalled XP and wanted to boot again as 3DFirestarter suggested...

9. Fuzzfas

From the chinese forum, machine translated. It seems that Twister is making his first, shy steps towards advertising the product in the West and got an award from a Polish computer magazine.

Go Twister, go! :argh:

And, PREVIEW (?) of V8 interface (i think, the translation was horrible. They look different. Maybe they are candidate skins and the final will be one of them? I have also the suspicion that maybe this is a proposal of a user, but i find it strange that someone would go to such length as to make his own fake skins just for fun. Anyway, i don't speak chinese, so i can't swear on anything 100%)!

v8.jpg

v82.jpg

v83.jpg

Well, the good news are 2. That v8 is closer to reality and that Twister is stepping up its marketing!

Now we must wait. The new interface is certainly prettier than the old one. Nothing spectacular, but at least it's more modern now.

Bring v8!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  10. bellgamin

Hola Fuzz-sensei! Thanks for the update. As a matter of interest -- the free version of Prevx & the paid-forever version of Twister run together splendidly. It's a fearsome duo for a one-off license fee. No flatulence whatsoever. :shifty:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  11. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I loved Twister when I used it, and I can't wait for version 8 :D

12. Fuzzfas

Hi Bellgamin! I am not surprised. Twister is one of the most easygoing AVs out there when it comes to co-exist with other security applications. The Buddhist meditation module kicks in and allows other products to live nearby. :D

Who can? My only fear, is about x64 compatibility, because it is probable that I will pass to Wndows 7 x64 when it comes out and i would hate it to lose Twister... :(

13. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Great news Fuzz! Do you have any news concerning Twister's participation at future AV-Comparatives tests? I'd love to see it :D

:argh:

14. Fuzzfas

No. But i can only understand few things through google translate. Someone who speaks chinese should go and tell us more... :p

15. Fuzzfas

Twister news (from the kind Mr. Bright Chu).

- Twister's release date is still uncertain, the aim is for the end of the year.

- v8 will initially be 32bit only, but after that, they will prepare an 64bit version.

- Filseclab Firewall will be available in 64bit since the initial release and they expect to be able to release a beta in October.

16. bellgamin

Even as it now stands their FW is a time-tested, easy-to-use, easy-on-resources, powerful, highly regarded security app.

17. Fuzzfas

Yes, but that firewall is no longer under development (is it even XP SP3 compatible or Vista compatible? I don't know.) and the new one is supposed to be completely re-written and i suspect it will also be Windows 7 compatible and 64bit compatible (that part is certain).

So it's a whole new venture. Many XP users will finally make the big step and pass to Windows 7 (me too). And also a good portion with new machines will go 64bits.

The fact that they already have the experience of coding a decent firewall in the past, i hope will prove useful in order to deliver yet another good firewall and in time to accomodate Windows 7.

18. Fuzzfas

The skins posted by me earlier, are NOT the real ones. Ftfans posted in the Twistee forum. They are designed by a Chinese forum member. :eek: (i admire his patience to get into such detail).

So we will have to wait more to see a real preview...

He also said that probably after the release of v8, Twister will be sold boxed too in shops. In China at first i suppose.

19. bellgamin

Yeth, it is.

Who knows? Who cares? {Vista? Vista? Don't need no steenking Vista, hombre. :cool: }

I will, too (when pigs fly). o_O :gack: :shifty: :blink: :ouch:

20. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Yesterday, my wife told me what's that on the screen? Twister AV detected kernel32.dll as Trojan.Patched.gr.hnxw.

The driver file was located in:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32

I immediately knew it was a false positive and trusted the file. Unfortunately, others were unable to restart their computer and Filseclab has posted a fix to those unable to reboot.

From Google Translation:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...s/09061514.htm&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&history_state0=

21. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I had the same thing happen only twister was unable to delete the file (thankfully). I was also unable to find where I could "undo" or restore a file after it was quarantined.

22. Fuzzfas

I m with you on that!

:argh: MS should give you an "Honorary Golden XP edition" , with free support. :thumb:

Wow, that's one BIG FP!!! And i was getting more optimistic about FPs, because i haven't had any for some months. Fortunately i didn't have that FP here.

Open the GUI, on the left menu choose quarantine. Click the file that is in quaranting, then click the "Undo" icon on your top right. (there are 4 little icons, one of them is Undo). The file should be copied back to its original position.

23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Thanks fuzzfas I'll give it a go.

24. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Here is a post from ftfans over at the Twistee forum.
    :thumb:

25. Fuzzfas

Thanks Tony. I wonder how exactly it will be implemented. Sandboxing the browser? Running an executable in sandbox and analyze it with FDDS? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.