TV Tuner card?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by eDOC786, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eDOC786

eDOC786 Registered Member

Hi there,

I have a Sony Vaio desktop VGC-LS1, with a built in NTSC TV Tuner card.

I want to install an ALL systems i.e NTSC, PAL, SECAM card like this one........ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3148961&csid=_21.

I have 2 queries:

1. The card says that the machine should have a VGA card, but my desktop has a Intel mobile graphics acelerator 128 MB.......would it work with the Vaio machine?

2. Should I need to disable the built in TV Tuner card when I use this one?

Hopingto hear your views,

Regards!

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

No you don't need anything else, but don't get that model, stick with Hauppauge brand.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146195&CatId=1428

3. eDOC786

Thanks.....I would have liked to stick with Hauppauge brand but that is only NTSC & not all systems.

I have a built in NTSC TV board installed in my machine.

I want an all systems i.e PAL, SECAM, NTSC.

Hoping to hear your thoughts,

Regards!

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

You have the necessary vga (onboard or pci-e is the same thing).

No need to disable the onboard tuner card. I have 4 tuner cards installed on my media pc, they all work fine together. The media software will usually let you pick which tuner card you want to use, I have sagetv and it uses whatever tuner cards it finds on my pc. Multiple tuner cards will let you record different tv shows at the same time (but only if the tuner cards have built-in hardware encoders).

The most important thing is that the tuner card has built-in hardware encoders, the one you pick has the hardware encoders.

5. eDOC786

Thanks for your suggestions.

My machine is Sony Vaio VGC-LS1, running XP MCE 2005.

What brand, type, hard ware encoders, USB, ALL systems PAL, SECAM & NTSC TV Tuner should I buy?

What would you have gone for if you were in my place..........??

Regards!

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

On my mediapc I have 4x Hauppauge pvr150 PCI (ntsc). This is an old tuner card, the newer model is the hvr1600 (ntsc and atsc HD). When I upgrade I will be getting the hvr1600 only because I prefer using the available PCI slots in my computer.

If you have cable tv, ntsc is good enough. I'm not familiar with secam or pal.

It depends on what you use your computer for, if you just need to transfer the occasional video into your computer a USB external tuner will work good for that. If you plan on using your computer as a VCR / PVR , then the internal PCI tv tuners will be better.

My mediapc is a always on 24/7 PVR, 4 tuner cards/ 4 hard drives.

7. eDOC786

Thanks.

1. My desktop has no PCI slots only USBs.

2. I want to use it to watch cable /TV.

3. I definately need PAL coz PAL programs are with out audio & in black white format with the built in TV Tuner since its only NTSC.

Regards!

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

There is PAL/SCAM versions of Hauppauge if you need. You'll have to go on the UK or Euro sites for that model.

9. eDOC786

Could you care to suggest a few?

Cannot acesss Europe site?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.