[Tutorial] Installing NOD32 v3.x with custom configuration

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gjdb, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjdb

gjdb Registered Member

First a little background about me and the reason of this tutorial.
    I’m working as a system administrator in the educational sector and one of my responsibilities is making standard computer installations (Windows XP) with the use of Symantec Ghost.
    When "building" these installations we make use of a self extracting/installing custom NOD32 v2.7 package, with our own configuration and command line options for quiet installation and forced reboot.
    Also we have a custom package available for all our employees for home use, overall we have several hundred users/installs.

Since the release of NOD32 v3, custom configurations are not supported anymore, neither by adding a cfg.xml in the same directory as the installer or by pushing it with the command line ADMINCFG=cfg.xml.

This was not exceptional for me, because it would cost me much more time and effort to get it installed with our own configuration, so I looked at a way to get it running with custom configurations.
    And here it is, a tutorial which explains how to install v3 with your own configuration.

Step 1. Make a temporary directory where you put all files, for instance D:\NOD32-Temp\
    Step 2. Download Eset NOD32 v3.0.672 (in my case the Business Users version) and put it in the temporary directory.
    Step 3. Download ESET Remote Administrator Console 2.0.110 and put it in the temporary directory.
    Step 4. Download ORCA (A database table editor from Microsoft© for editing Windows Installer packages).
    http://www.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/orca.Msi and put it in the temporary directory.
    Step 5. Install ESET Remote Administrator Console and ORCA.
    Step 6. Run ESET Remote Administrator Console,make your own configuration and save it as cfg.xml in your temporary directory.
    Step 7. Run ORCA
    Step 8. Go to File – Open and open the NOD32 installer file.
    In my case ( D:\NOD32-Temp\eavbe_nt32_enu.msi )
    Step 9. Go to Tables – Export Tables, set as Output Directory: your temporary directory,
    mark Use Long File Names and AI_Tempfile and press OK. (do not close ORCA)
    Step 10. In your temporary directory a file is created called AI_TempFile.idt and a directory called AI_TempFile, with 6 files inside.
    Step 11. Copy the cfg.xml you created in Step 6, open the AI_TempFile directory and paste it there. (or drag and drop it)
    Step 12. In the AI_TempFile directory you will find a file called cfg.xml.ibd, delete it and rename you cfg.xml to cfg.xml.ibd
    Step 13. Switch to ORCA and go to Tables – Import Tables and select AI_TempFile.idt and press Open and OK. (this replaces the standard configuration file with your own custom configuration)
    Step 14. Go to File and press Save as, and give the modified installer the name you want.

Now you have a modified installer with your own custom configuration.

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

you have to name your xml file nod32.xml, not cfg.xml. put the nod32.xml in the same folder as eavbe_nt32_enu.msi, configuration will be read automatically.

3. gjdb

gjdb Registered Member

Tried that already many times, with different names as suggested by several people but it does not use any of the custom configurations, when contacting Eset they also said it is not supported anymore, the only options supported are /qn , /qb! , reboot="ReallySupress" and reboot="Force"

4. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

sorry i mixed it up, for v3 the xml should be named cfg.xml, just like you said in your first mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.