Turning off update reminders for Flash and others

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by idbit, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idbit

idbit Registered Member

When I turned on my computer this morning, I was greeted with a Flash update reminder. I went ahead and updated. But I prefer to update manually. I have an older Pentium 4 system, so I like to keep things lean - with minimal things running in the background. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off all such reminders in Windows XP SP3? Maybe a Service? Or maybe just turn off the Flash reminder? That seems to be the only one bugging me.

Thanks!
    -IB

2. philby

philby Registered Member

This will do it.

philby

3. idbit

idbit Registered Member

Thanks! That did it for Flash. They make you jump through a couple hoops. You have to find a website first that uses Flash, then right-click on the flash object for your settings. There I turned off auto-update and changed a couple other things. It looks like you have to do it separately for Firefox and Internet Explorer. I updated in FF first, then on a hunch checked it in IE. Sure enough, my settings weren't saved there. So I set again in IE. Then rechecked FF and my settings were saved there. So I think that should hold.

It has me wondering though what other programs have reminders running in the background. If I goto msconfig and check Startup, Flash isn't there. Yet the reminder was running. Is there any other place to look?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.