TuneUp Utilities 2013 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Narxis, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Tuneup Utilities 2013 smoked my Windows to death!

So I was having a weird error everytime I started MPC-HC that there was a problem with the MPC-HC dump file.

I tried reinstalling it, updating to a newer version, but no luck.

So I thought ok, before going ahead and reverting to one of my old Acronis True Image backups, let me give Tunup Utilities 2013 the benefit of the doubt.

I installed the latest version from their site, as soon as the app started, it displayed a message that there is an update. So I click on the update, it downloads some files, then my laptop freezes. Ok, no problem, let's do a forced shut down.

Upon starting my Windows the next time, after the progress bar loads, I get an error message in Logonui.exe that says "authuitu.dll" is not a recognized file or something like that. I tried booting into safe mode, and it gave the exact same error message, my system was FUBAR basically.

I googled this error and it seems that it is a common error that happens when someone tried to update with no solution.

This taught me a lesson the hard way I had to format, reinstall Windows, install Acronis True Image, then restore my old image.

For some reason I couldn't restore my previous image using the Acronis Boot Up CD because when I do, the drive letters are all messed up, C: becomes D: and D: is C: as I can tell from the partition contents and attempting to restore seems like it would wipe my D: partition rather than C: so I had to do it the hard way and format then restore from within Windows :(

I cannot believe how such a bad program is so wide spread over the internet and on most reputable sites when it has screwed my system on 2 occasions, one time 4 months ago when I cleaned my systems registry entries, I got crashes all over the place to an extent where the system was not usable. And now this!

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Re: Tuneup Utilities 2013 smoked my Windows to death!

That's lesson that registry cleaners and so-called "tuneup" utilities do more harm than good. If it ain't broken, don't mess with it.

3. berryracer

But what's funny is that I didn't even reach the point where I cleaned my registry. I wanted to see if it would fix that MPC-HC error I was getting, I installed it, it updated, and BOOM, my system's gone to a state beyond any possible recovery!

Imagine if I would have actually run a scan and cleaned with it! oh my! :eek:

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Berry, you need to really step away from all of the magic tune up utilities. I have read so many posts, and threads started by you regarding this reg cleaner, and that superduper, magic computer tuner upper program, and in the last one I told you you would learn the hard way sooner rather then later, and I was right.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

When you get an error, try to repair the application from the Programs Add/Remove applet in the Control Panel. If that doesn't work - next step is to reinstall the application and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, then uninstall it.

If I have something that messes up Windows - I have Rollback RX - I can simply revert to a time I know it last worked right. Its always saved me from having to reinstall Windows.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1:thumb: so true.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Related Topic.

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

The NYPD don't call it a "tune-up" for nothing.

9. berryracer

Dude it wouldn't even let me get into Windows, not even in Safe mode

10. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  11. philby

philby Registered Member

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I don't get why everyone is hammering TuneUp just because it has a registry cleaner. I have used CCleaners Registry cleaner many times on all my machines and its yet to cause me issues. I have noticed a speed difference after cleaning up the registry. I am even debating of installing Iolo System Mechanic free edition and using the tuneup tools to keep the machine quick.

13. philby

philby Registered Member

Would advise against... see my post here (#5).
    When these things go wrong, they really go wrong - not worth it, in my view.

14. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

But Rollback Rx acts before Windows boot so it should handle that situation...if you are running it.

15. berryracer

Welcome to the placebo effect

http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1709/ff_placebo_effect_f.jpg

16. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Ibrad

Slightly off topic but...have used SM for years and it has never caused me any issues...and for me seems to speed things up, etc...but that is just for me. Have investigated free version but it is very basic and so would recommend that you try the full version trial...that way you will get a better appreciation of whether SM is for you or not....assuming that you are happy to pay the asking price if you find that you are. ;)

17. The Red Moon

you are one of many who fall for this miguided delusion that registry cleaning will speed up your computer.

Also registry cleaners can vary in aggression etc and obviously tune up utilities has a far too agressive cleaner.

System mechanic is another offender of this and ive experienced this myself.
    Its all a placebo and it seems to be fooling quite a lot of people.
    Ive said this before and i will say it again these programs are snake oil,vapourware and crapware and should be avoided.
    Enjoy the snake oil my good friend.:thumb:

18. berryracer

ROFLMAO :D

19. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

its a public information post to inform others that they save some $$$ its their choice what do with it :D

20. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Yep. We know, you said already. Now go and mind your own business.

21. The Red Moon

OUCH.!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

22. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd bet this is from uninstalling BD before BG was installed.

But using images is an excellent practice. No worries with an accurate backup program & verified backup(s). I never liked ATI. I've been using EaseUS Todo Backup Free. A few months ago I switched to EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server for it's ability to restore to different hardware. Best I've used!

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That is actually not the case. The problems berryracer expereicned were due to a crash, he didn't clean the registry.

24. berryracer

I never had BD installed bro.

Since I always create multiple images using Acronis True Image. I always leave the last image I create to the point before I install any AV

So when I did install BG it was on a clean system

That said, the issue I faced is very weird and what's stranger that if you google that same error with that DLL I had you'll find a myriad of threads pertaining to the same problem!

I will never trust this company anymore

25. berryracer

Exactly, I didn't even use the program, just installed, updated, CRASH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.