Trying to update bios

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive downloaded latest bios for packard bell easynote tm86 but having problems installing.The problem is due to to the battery which basically needs replacing,and the bios installer wont let me install because of battery low error.However I always run on AC power and dont want to fork out for a battery.Anyway round this other than getting a new battery?

Attached Files:

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Nope, you have to buy a battery otherwise you can try flashing it using a BIOS Flashing tool in DOS but then if anything goes wrong you have burned your laptop!

So invest in a battery or leave the BIOS alone if you are not facing any particular issue that the new BIOS fixes.

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

If you unzip the exe file, you should be able to edit the platform.ini file and disable the battery check (look for BatteryCheck).

4. ellison64

I just cant understand why updating the bios relies on whether the batterys any good if its running off AC power o_O ,unless its some sort of manufacturers scam to get you to purchase a battery :mad:

5. ellison64

The .exe file wont unzip any more.Is there a way to turn off the battery monitor in windows or whatever module it uses to check it?Ive googled but no luck so far.This is ridiculous.Using AC power and cant update.:mad:

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Have you already tried to update with the battery removed?

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

8. ellison64

Yeah.. that doesnt work.My desktop pc doesnt have a battery and runs on AC and that updates bios just fine ,so i dont see why the laptop even needs a battery at all if its running on AC.I guess only option is to find a friend who has similar laptop so i can borrow the battery for two minutes ,or buy a battery....which is out of the question,and a waste of money as I just use the laptop plugged in anyway.:cautious:

9. ellison64

Thanks for the link....nice programe (im sure i can use this in the future),but it is unable to extract anything out of this particular .exe file as it appears theres no cab file inside.

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Aren't we talking about a CMOS battery here? Or am I wrong?

11. ellison64

No not the cmos battery....the large standard battery pack in the laptop.The 4% shown in the screenshot is what the power option icon shows in system tray.It always says "4% available (plugged in charging)" and is referring to the standard battery pack.

12. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Gerard is right, ellison64

The CMOS battery is more for the motherboard and you need that battery.
    It's usually a little round one, easily replaceable and inexpensive, not the big battery you use to run your laptop..

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/g/cmos.htm

http://kb.iu.edu/data/adoy.html

HTH

Marja:cool:

Didn't see your post in time-maybe 4% is not enough juice for your laptop or what you are trying to accomplish?
    It says on your screenshot it has to be greater than 20%.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. ellison64

Im trying to update my bios to latest release ,and downloaded the latest bios from packard bell site for my model laptop.It wont install because my main battery pack is flat.The error shown in the pic is referring to the standard battery pack being at 4 (4%).Its not refering to the cmos battery.In fact from googling it seems many laptops cant update bios unless they have full battery (main battery not cmos) and AC power connected which seems ridiculous to me unless its mainly to get users to buy new battery packs every year or two or be unable to update bios.

14. Marja

Like berryracer said, it's easy to burn up your puter flashing the bios without the power you need..

Just me, but I wouldn't try it, if you have a warranty it prob won't be covered if something goes wrong..if you don't you are still out of luck..

It is sort of strange it won't let you just use the AC, but that's for someone that knows alot about electricity to explain. :)
    (like Bill Bright, ask him?)

Good luck!

15. ellison64

Well those 240v coming through the mains and into my laptop gives me all the power i need:rolleyes: .If the manufactures were that worried that there might be a mains power failure when flashing bios ,then they would have stuck a similar battery in desktops too wouldnt they?.No..the more i think about it ,the more i believe its purely revenue based.Who is Bill Bright? :p

16. Marja

I do understand where you are coming from .... about buying parts you don't really need. :rolleyes:

Bill posts mostly in the Hardware section, he seems to know alot about
    electricity.. there are others (like Sully), but Bill is usually around more. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=324263

Do you absolutely have to update your bios? What kind of problem are
    you having, maybe someone can chime in about it?

17. ellison64

Ahh ive been a member here for years ,and as you can see rarely visited the hardware section :eek: .Im not having any problems ,just wanted to update to latest bios wich is 2 years newer.Im just guessing that a bios update usually fixes or enhances things (though i could be wrong) so its just out of a sense of keeping things up to date i guess.Anyway if its a choice between forking out £66 (on amazon) for a battery or updating the bios ,then its goodbye to the bios update :doubt:

18. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Unfortunately, most manufacturers force you to have a properly charged battery in before you update the BIOS

They are scared of the 0.001% chance that a power failure might occur during your BIOS Flash and fry your laptop! I honestly think that having even 7% battery is enough as that is more than enough time for the BIOS Flash process but manufacturers suck :(

You have to buy a new battery buddy. Save yourself the hassle

19. Marja

First of all, if you are not having problems the BIOS is probably the last
    thing to be messin' with.
    The rule of thumb for bios update is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!
    Why take a chance-you could hose your whole puter for no reason.

It has nothing to do with updating like you do with software, FW, AV, etc, it does your 'power on' test, figures out what you are booting (cd, dvd, Hd), things like that.

FYI-
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000236.htm

Also make sure the bios update you downloaded is for YOUR specific motherboard when/if you flash it.

Unless you've been having start up problems or replaced all your hardware.. :doubt: (except the motherboard) -
    then you prob don't need to update it.

Maybe you should start a poll, "Should I update my bios or not" :D-bet most would say NO! :)

20. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Well, I am Bill Bright and I have been an electronic technician for more than 40 years so I know a little about hardware.

As for updating the BIOS, I would ask why? I agree with Marja and you should leave the BIOS alone unless (1) it specifically addresses a problem you are having, (2) it addresses a security concern (rare) or (3) your current BIOS is corrupt - also rare.

As for updating the BIOS on your notebook, and it saying you need the battery, I am not sure why - other than the fact the battery in a notebook a major component - as is power management.

If you really really need to update the BIOS, I would put the battery in and see if it lets you. But if you are updating because a new update is out there, I wouldn't.

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Big updates often require a battery so that if it's unplugged the system doesn't completely die.

It's pretty reasonable.

22. ellison64

I disagree.Manufacturer bios updates are for a reason .Some for stability ,some adding funcionality.Of course the right bios update must be used for your system...that goes without saying,but i dont see anything scary about updating a bios.The only scary thing is that i would have to pay £66 not including p+p for the privilege :gack:

23. ellison64

So why dont desktop pcs have batteries if thats the case?

24. ellison64

Id be a fool not to bow to experience like that and so i will take your advice :thumb:

25. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Because they're desktops...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.