trying comodo pro FW. I can't get IE to connect to the net.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jrx10, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I'm running xp. I can get firefox to connect (fairly fast), as well as opera (but very slow), but I can't IE to connect. Iexplore.exe under application monitor is set to allow. when I turn the "application monitor" off, I can connect using IE. is there another ap under the application monitor that's needs to be "allowed" for IE to connect? if so it's not showing up, can you manually install it? (seems like "generic host processor" had to be allowed in ZA, but I don't see it anywhere on the comodo list). also, IE will connect when I put the "component monitor" in the "learn mode" instead of the "turn on mode". btw, there are tons of M$ aps in the "component monitor" secton set to "allow". is there a tutorial on what M$ aps should be allowed and which one shouldn't? thx

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Turn it on means it's now inflexible. Whatever new comes up (a new parent, OLE toro:D ) is blocked.
    In learning mode, it will ask you what to do when something's new, and you can allow it. That's why you can connect in learning mode: you answer yes. It can be related to svchost or something.

The tutorial would be nice, let me know if you find one, but google can answer.

Wait for somebody experienced, that doesn't mention a bull arena, or post at the comodo forum.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

thx, I'm going to browse some of the comodo posts below. I tried setting svchost.ext to 'allow' but that didn't help. (it's on ask now). I use firefox as my main browser but I sometimes need IE. also, I'm just not comfortable with all these M$ aps under "component monitor" set to allow, for some reason.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not all are Microsoft's, and it doesn't get any better lol. It piles up. You just have to know what they are.

If the system is somewhat stable, check them out in google or something.

When you allowed the ones you want/need to connect, then you'll have a better picture when you install something new, or start a program and it connects. You say to yourself: it has got to be related to this app. Then you decide if you want to allow them for good, allow for the occasion (like IE), or deny.
    Leave it in learning. I do.

I still have to read a lot about networking to know exactly what i am doing. Also why Comodo is good:)

5. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

one quick question. I've reconfigured some things, and deleted some things. now when I open firefox it says FF is trying to act as a server. when I deny, I can still connect to the internet. so I closed FF, reopened it, and the same message appears. I checked "remember" and then denied. I still connected to my homepage ok. so again I closed FF, and reopened it....same thing...comedo didn't remember even though I checked remember. could this be because I'm surfing from the limited user account and not an administrators account, the reason, my answer is not sticking? or is it OK for FF to act as a servero_O?? btw, there a ton of *&^% under "show libraries" under the PU of FF is trying to act as a server. ----what's need is a choice--I just want to surf, and I don't want anything going out from anything that isn't required just to surf. some days I think I'm just going to get an "e-mail machine" and forget about the freakin' internet altogether. it's becomming a PIA just to surf. http://www.iaswcd.org/Images/easy-button.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Good link: http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3992.0.html
    See Panic's reply, and google loopback.
    I still have to sink in my head what that means. Or i have to read something else.
    Most people loose connection if denied.
    If it doesn't remember, try in admin. Or it could be that the message is different. Try to read the whole message and see if anything's different. I'm only guessing.

7. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

The component monitor is really not so comprehensible for most users. I turned it off from Sygate and also with Comodo I'm running it only in learning mode OR until it has learned already some. Most likely one cannot possibly verify those allowed anyways.

That does not matter from which user account you run. It is localhost loopback address that firefox needs to listen. You can see from my picture attached. When you run CPF with 'Very High' alert level, you will get asked for IP addresses too.

It is sad that Comodo help file is nonexistent in any technical details like SPI, firewall rule order and intrinsics. Also the forum, there is even FAQ forum, but that forum is actually "F*****d" up with posts from misunderstood users and reading them is a pain in the ass. There simply is no good knowledge base on comodo firewall.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.