Try and Decide service slows logon by 59 seconds

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by iaminsane, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iaminsane

iaminsane Registered Member

Using True Image 11 build 8053
    System: Win xp 64, fresh install
    Just started a rebuild. About the only thing I've installed is Firefox.

Installed TI an hour ago and time from logon to desktop increased from 6 seconds to SIXTY FIVE seconds!

Uninstalled TI and the time went back to 6 seconds.

Reinstalled and back to 65 seconds.

Read a bunch of threads about the plethora of TI auto start services, most stating they caused no performance degradation.

Thought I would test myself, and the first thing I tried was "Try and Decide service". Set this service to manual, rebooted and I'm down to about 9 second logon.

Why is Try and Decide service adding 59 seconds to my startup?
    Why is the rest of the TI adding several seconds to logon?

this whole thing is getting old...

keyword search assistance:
    timountermonitor.exe
    trueimagemonitor.exe
    schedhlp.exe
    Acronis Scheduler2 Service
    schedul2.exe
    Acronis Try And Decide Service
    TrueImageTryStartService.exe

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I don't know if you are aware of the killer limitation of T&D. Programs installed in that enviroment that require a re-boot will not survive. I also believe that all the contents of T&D will be lost following a re-boot.

I only had TI 11 on a computer for a very short time so I did not check all its many features and as I use the secure zone for its original purpose T&D was never activated.

My approach to testing programs etc is to have a full harddrive image made before starting tests. When finished either a restore is run to take the computer back to its previous state or I may decide to carry on with the particular item installed.

I would suggest you consider removing the secure zone which will get rid of T&D and then check that the service has disappeared or been disabled.

Xpilot

3. iaminsane

iaminsane Registered Member

Did you read too much into my post? Or are you implying that TI installs and enables a secure zone without my intervention?

Let me clarify - I never "explicitly" installed or turned on the T&D zone. And I certainly never used it.

I installed TI, and immediately rebooted (rebooted twice each time actually to make sure TI wasn't doing chores on the first reboot). BOTH installs of TI resulted in the 59 second increase on all 4 reboots (over the two installs).

I them turned off the Try and Decide SERVICE and rebooted to test, turned the SERVICE back on and rebooted.

I stated the timing differences were measured when the service set from auto to manual and back again

thanks for your reply.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes I did read too much into your post. I had assumed that you must have made a T&D zone for the T&D service to be loaded automatically.

I only ever had Version 11 on my computer for less than two days before I went back to Version 10.
    However this was long enough to try out the features I was interested in. I also did not activate T&D but there was no noticable difference in boot times with either Version installed.
    I did not look to see if version 11 had in fact loaded the T&D service. It may have been there but if it was it certainly did not affect boot times.

It would seem there is something odd going on on your computer and the V 11 installation. A ticket raised with Acronis support is probably the best thing to do and in the meantime disable the T&D service.

Xpilot

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iaminsane,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

Could you please submit a request for technical support with the attached Windows System Information file and the link to this thread? This would let us to escalate the case to our Quality Assurance Team for testing. Windows System Information can be collected in the way it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.