Try and decide mode problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by naap, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naap

naap Registered Member

i installed acronis true image 11 home some days ago and i tried to use the try and decide mode. i have only one partition (C) so acronis had to resize it to create the secure zone. after the rebooting i saw the error about bad blocks and so i deleted all the hard disk making an image( i thing i had the blocks because of some interruptions of the electric line). however, i restored the image, i made the secure zone (now it didn't say bad bloks) and tried to use the try & decide mode.

but when i click on "start try mode " the icon with the clock appears and doesn't go away. the computer freezes if i click on any other things of the desktop. i left the try mode loading for about 15 minutes and then it was still loading(with the icon)! so i don't think the cause is for the cpu power( 800 mhz) or the operating system (win 2000) becuase ileft it loading a quarter of hour! i tried it other times, but nothing. i always have to restart the pc beacuse it is freezed (oner day it will crash forever if i continue)

any solution? thanks and bye

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Uninstall version 11. Consider reinstalling after they have a fixed build to release. Trying to sweat out tweaking, workarounds, duct-taping, and crutches to get 11 to work is probably not worth you time, and problably not going to be successful.

Just on general principles you should run chkdsk/r on your disk to ensure that only good sectors are mapped as usable.

3. naap

naap Registered Member

so you suggest to wait for a new version... i'll try another time uninstalling and reinstalling it. then if it doesn't work i will uninstall it at all.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Using the manage secure zone wizard you should remove the secure zone before you do anything else.
    Allocate the released space back to your C drive.

Now you can run CHKDSK R on the whole of your hard drive and examine the results in event viewer/applications/LOGON.
    It is important to remove tha secure zone first because CHKDSK cannot see inside or repair a secure zone.

Xpilot

5. shieber

Good catch. Excellent point. Not to mention it would be hard to remove the SZ once ATI is uninstalled.

I'd do those things first (remove SZ, run chckdsk/r) then uninstall 11.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I know lots of good folk do not like the secure zone almost as an article of faith.
    I on the other hand love it dearly. I think of it like it were my Mother-in-Law. I concentrate on the good points and avoid or work round the bad ones. That way we get along great :D

Xpilot

7. naap

naap Registered Member

another thing: could the problem be that the minimum RAM system requirement was 256 mb? i have 192 mb on win 2000... please say the truth... it should go anyway or not? i noticed that TI is not so light, but i backed up a partition, i restored it... why shouldn't "try and decide" mode work?

PS: i have the build 6.054... is there a new version?

8. shieber

I can't imagine actually paying money to be with my m-in-law. I figure that's my f-in-law's burden to bear. ;-)

9. naap

naap Registered Member

now i've uninstalled TI, made scandisk, reinstalled TI, made Secure zone. there something strange: it took about 20 seconds to create a secure zone of 9 GB... is it normal? hmmm i'm trying the try mode.
    it has freezed again...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Creating and for that matter removing a secure zone should only take a few seconds.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.