Trust that Search Engine ?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Most of by now know who's behind Google & other long time SE's :p

But what do we REALLY know about who Actually owns other SE's that we could/do use, & who "might" be behind them ?

If there is no obvious source of income to fund the WHOLE operation, then how do they manage to continue to pay ALL the bills ?

So this leads on to the question as to why they are doing it, & can we Really believe the ones that say they don't keep logs, or with IP's, and/or for long before being destroyed ?

I have a feeling that one or more of these SE's "may" one day come back to "byte" some people !

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It's simple, really: if you don't trust a search engine, you don't use it :)

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Honestly all the big boys (Yahoo, Google, maybe even Bing now) have played nice with the government and such. It's really just how things are now, you can't escape reality. The government is going to stick their paws into anything they can and as far into it as they can.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

In regards to search engines, I find accuracy and amount of information more important than privacy.

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Why should trust be a factor at all? When privacy is an issue with a search engine, use a good proxy or a service like Tor.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Meh, i'll stick to Google :D

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1. :thumb:

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I read their privacy policies and pick which one I like.

For EMAIL, I think I like Google's.
    For IM, I have to use Yahoo's Messenger! that's what my contacts are using so...
    For Search Engine. I'm switch between Ixquick and Google.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Heck... I find my self either using Ixquick, which I do like the proxy feature or DuckDuckGo (which sometimes I confuse with GoGoDuck :D). But, sometimes I find myself using Google because Bing doesn't have https support, yet.

I know there are other "search engines" such as Scroogle... But, I really never remember about it when the time comes. :D

10. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I use Ixquick most of the time and sometimes Bing.

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

https://encrypted.google.com

That's what I use. As for "where does the money come from?" I know where 99.99% of Google's money comes from -- ads.

12. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

No dont use google dont use google they collect your info every couple of hours... Yet they use Google Chrome

13. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

No you cant,the best thing you can do IS BE AWARE OF THINGS AND BE AS PRIVATE AS YOU CAN BE..... (Its not easy these days :()

14. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The purpose of my posting this thread was to "hopefully" alert people into doing some background research on the companies/individuals etc who operate search engines they use.

You might be surprised at who owns/runs etc some of them ! Also there appears to be very little info etc posted by "some" of them, on their True MO etc, which makes me wonder who/why etc !

I'm aware that i don't have to use any, i choose not to ;) Also that i can use a proxy with any i do ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.