Truncated Downloads W/Spybot & Others

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ih8spyware, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ih8spyware

ih8spyware Registered Member

o_O :'( o_O With my laptop in the repair shop, I'm using a loaner (WinXP) that truncates downloads of almost all the online programs I've tried to install: my Webroot Spysweeper and Spybot being the most crucial failures. They download fine for about 5-10 minutes, then they pretend to be done, but only a fraction of the full download actually comes thru, and when I try to use the supposedly downloaded files, I get a message saying "corrupted file." Can anyone tell me how to circumvent this, please? (I cannot do it @ the library computers around here, bec. they block thumbdrives, and the only friend who has a computer has the exact same problem.)

McAfee and SWB (which I do have installed and updated) don't guard adequately against rootkits and trojans: on my laptop, I count on Spysweeper and Spybot to bounce those guys out. I also have TrendMicro's anti-spy installed, but inspite of that, I feel insecure w/o the additional, comforting presence of SpySweeper and Spybot. (I do use the Ewido micro-scanner and Ad-Aware frequently throughout my internet sessions, but again, they don't act as bouncers, only as "afterthoughts.")

Many thanx in advance for any assistance with this.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am not sure of your problem, but I have had a situation when I attempted to download MPEG files from a website and the download just ends abruptly (with a pop up of download complete message) after a few minutes (normally it takes over 1/2 hour). I have to keep retrying the download several times until the entire file is completed. I think the problem is on the server end and not my PC since I can ultimately get the file in whole.

3. ih8spyware

Yes, CC, what you're describing there fits my problem to a T, but the difference is that I tried about 4-5x to install the thing, and it keeps truncating the download---no increase of percentage actually downloaded. What's weird is that I was able to download a couple of other ones (CrudCleaner, Webroot updates, SWB). But SpyBot is my Ultimate Protector :D , so I gotta get that ordnance into my 'puter!

Thanx for your reply.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I guess you are going to the author's website for the download? Did you try going to a third party download site to see if you can get the program from another server? If you get the same issue with trying to get the same program from multiple download sites, then there may be an issue within your PC.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sometimes there is a load on some of the download servers.
    When you're downloading, try different mirrors. I always use SaferNetworking 1-3 and they work fine. Others do not...
    Mrk

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Try switching browsers for the downloads.

7. ih8spyware

CC, MrK & Stapp: Thanx 4 all the advice. I've now got my own laptop back and 4 some weird reason, it's having the same problem (which it did NOT have before it went into the shop, hmmmnnnn...):blink: :eek: , so I'm trying the various suggestions you guys provided.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That is very odd. You may want to ask what exactly they did to your PC in the shop.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You probably need to call your isp if your friend is having the same problems and has the same provider. What type of internet do you have? dial-up, dsl, cable? http://www.dslreports.com/ has many provider forums and tools that you can use to troubleshoot connection problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.