TrueCrypt volume no longer accepts password

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Tetrin Khaya, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Tetrin Khaya

Tetrin Khaya Registered Member

greetings, all.

i'm trying to recover data from a TrueCrypt (v7.1a) volume which is not accepting the correct password.

i encrypted the system partition on my laptop (running Windows 7), then encrypted the second drive in the laptop with a different password. everything ran smoothly for several months, until i decided to abandon the encryption altogether. i decrypted the system partition first, and immediately after doing this, the second drive could not be mounted/decrypted, and TrueCrypt returned the 'Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume' message.

so...what could have happened?
    and more importantly, could the problem be reversible?

:
    :

there are two additional bits of information i feel i should add, which may or may not be relevant:

1) in a frustrated and tired moment, i tried to restore the TrueCrypt header to the second drive from a backup file, only to discover afterward that i had restored the header from a completely different TrueCrypt volume. unfortunately, there is no backup header for the volume i'm trying to recover.

2) the laptop was setup to dual boot between Kali Linux & Windows 7. Kali was encrypted with LUKS, and the grub bootloader gave the option of which OS to boot into. i did something wrong here, and mounting and decrypting Kali never worked automatically, and always had to be done manually, but i never had issues with Win7 in TrueCrypt.

2. Tetrin Khaya

Tetrin Khaya Registered Member

as a minor update to this, i tried to restore the volume header from the embedded backup, but the only password it accepted was the password to the incorrect volume header i mistakenly restored earlier. after which, of course, the partition showed as unformatted, and as 'not contain[ing] a recognized file system'.

i seriously don't know what could have gone wrong...does anyone have any ideas? even crazy ones?

...since i do know the original volume password, would it be possible to manually reconstruct a TrueCrypt header?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.