TrueCrypt Volume Conversion

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sfi, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfi

sfi Registered Member

If you've read one of my earlier posts, I had the problem of no admin privileges while at another computer, but I have bypassed that problem. I saw something very similar to TC, FreeOTFE. Some of you may have heard of this software, some think that TC is better. BUT FreeOTFE explorer is usable without admin privileges. The only disadvantage is that it is not a "virtual volume", meaning it does not appear as a separate disk. Also, files can't be run off of it (you must extract the files first). Is there a converter to make TC volumes to be compatible with FreeOTFE Explorer, so that I can use my TC volumes elsewhere?

2. MarkCheck

MarkCheck Registered Member

Switch. FreeOTFE's better anyway...

They offer the same security (cyphers, XTS, etc) - it would be easier to just create a new volume using FreeOTFE, then copy your data over to it (i.e. switch to FreeOTFE)

Then you can simply use FreeOTFE instead of Truecrypt - which gives you "virtual volumes" - and will allow you to use FreeOTFE Explorer where you want to access your files on another computer without Administrator rights.

FreeOTFE's user interface is a lot better as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.