TrueCrypt Question on keyfiles vs password

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pencarrow, Sep 23, 2014.

1. pencarrow

pencarrow Registered Member

Since the TrueCrypt forum is no longer...

Would appreciate a forum member's quick help re keyfiles use.

Been a TrueCrypt user for some time but only use it to setup encrypted files on a drive. I have attempted to understand the Help manual re keyfiles but am still confused about why to use.

Am I better protected using a keyfile or simply a 25+ character/symbol password?

Is a combination of both recommended (and possible)?

Is there a better method than above to protect a TrueCrypt file.

Thx in advance...

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Both methods are secure but the mathematics would lean towards a solid password over a keyfile. I notice this is your first post here. Welcome.

Let me give you years of experience in one comment: Don't cut corners and get lazy: create and save a volume header backup on EVERY volume where the contents are important. They will save your ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ one day, they always do.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  3. pencarrow

pencarrow Registered Member

Appreciate the input! Don't understand the mechanics of creating/saving a volume header backup, but will look that up in the TrueCrypt user manual and heed your advice (since I do like having my *possibly offensive phrase removed* kept intact)!!

And thx for the welcome. I stumbled onto this site via a search about the TrueCrypt shutdown and appreciated the quality of the forum member comments and responses. I hope to use the forum often.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  4. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

why mathematics would lean towards password over a keyfile? what about multi keyfiles?